AAPA Names new CEO

http://www.aapa.org/news_and_publications/news/item.aspx?id=2855

Jennifer Dorn Named New CEO of the American Academy of Physician Assistants

Alexandria, VA After an extensive nationwide search, the Board of Directors of the American Academy of Physician Assistants has selected Jennifer L. (Jenna) Dorn as its Chief Executive Officer. She joins AAPA on October 31.

“Jenna is an experienced CEO with a proven track record of results,” said Robert Wooten, AAPA’s President. “The Board was impressed not only by her broad experience in national non-profits and government, but also with her passion for our mission. We are confident that Jenna will help guide AAPA to even greater achievements.”

“It is an honor to have this opportunity to serve the smart, compassionate and innovative professionals who comprise AAPA’s membership,” said Dorn. “I am thrilled to join the top notch AAPA staff team, and look forward to working with the members, Board and staff to make a difference in the health and lives of patients and their families.”

Dorn is currently Senior Fellow at Potomac Research Group, which provides Washington policy research and market technical analysis for the investment community. Previously, she was President and CEO of the National Academy of Public Administration, a nonprofit organization chartered by Congress and dedicated to improving the management of government. With nearly 30 years of management experience, Dorn has led multi-billion dollar federal agencies, as well as start-ups and well-established nonprofit organizations. She was appointed by the President of the United States to four senior leadership posts in government. She served as the U.S. Representative on the Board of Directors of the World Bank, Administrator of the Federal Transit Administration, Assistant Secretary for Policy at the Department of Labor and Associate Deputy Secretary of Transportation. Her nonprofit leadership posts include Senior Vice President of the American National Red Cross, President of the National Health Museum, and service on a number of boards.

Dorn is a graduate of Oregon State University, and holds a master’s degree in Public Administration from the University of Connecticut.

The recruitment process was carefully executed by a search committee chaired by Lawrence Herman, RPA-C, with the assistance of Spencer Stewart, a respected executive recruitment firm. The committee recommended several candidates for consideration by the Board which unanimously selected Dorn. During the recruitment and selection process, AAPA’s work has continued under the direction of its Interim EVP/CEO, James Potter, to whom the Academy’s leadership is grateful.

really? i wonder what her salary and compensation package is?

remember, it's your dues that support this organization that seems to be in bed with the nccpa. neither is in the business of promoting or supporting our profession; they are however in the business of making money.

i dropped my aapa membership years ago; i encourage others to do the same.

I disagree. Policy is made by those who show up. If you don't like the direction the AAPA is taking...and I don't like EVERYTHING they do, than get involved and change it. Simply complaining about it does nothing. Post your platform....All it would take is a small group of like minded, committed, and involved people to change the direction somewhat.....

They ARE our national organization, and we should support them. If you have issues with something, than I suggest that you run for office in the AAPA, or sit on one of the councils. Let your voice be heard. Get involved with your state academy and volunteer to be a delegate to the HOD, submit issues for discussion.

As for me, I have been a member for a long time, and I will continue to remain a member, while also trying to influence things to the extent that I can to change the things that I don't like.

People have to remember, the AAPA dues are ridiculously cheap. Physicians pay substantially more to belong to their organizations, many of them 4-5 times more...

Also, the NCCPA is a completely separate organization and while there is a collegial relationship with the AAPA, just as there is with ARC-PA and PAEA, the NCCPA does not receive any instructions or directions from the AAPA. They are their own organization. Psychometric testing is way, WAY complicated (far more than I ever thought before a few days ago).

The NCCPA also has a BOD, and they have open seats for PA's, submit your application and try to get on the NCCPA board.

My thoughts....

Most MDs no longer belong to the AMA. Why? It is outdated and headed in the wrong direction. They think it has served its purpose.

Concerning AAPA: I have certainly heard more bad than good. It has served its purpose and needs to be replaced. More PAs do need to get involved. I wonder why there is this passivity toward the AAPA.

Why? I think because most PAs see little or no relevance/connection regarding the AAPA.

I used to belong to the AAPA, but I see NO reason now to join. It is focusing on another planet than the ones where PAs practice.

Physasst,

Non concur. I have been active in my state assoc. and AAPA for many yrs. In the early yrs the AAPA was very active in helping PAs fight for our very survival and for things that many PAs now take for granted. Now they seem content to settle for promoting PA Day and running a large annual conference. I am still a member because I want to support my profession but they seem to have lost the fire to go toe to toe with the forces that seek to hinder PA practice and settle for passing meaningless resolutions in the HOD. If you think a few voices can make a change I think you will disappointed. The policy and direction of the AAPA for many yrs has been decided by a small inner core of AAPA employees. As for dues, I think they are a little steep and comparing our dues to physicians is an apple and oranges comparison. My state assoc. by comparison has been very active and I have always supported them. In the '80s when the CA Nurses Assoc. tried to sneak through legislation that would have effectively ended PA practice in CA my state assoc. was on the front line battling for our survival. Once the AAPA was a vital and proactive organization that has grown fat and lazy over the yrs.

While there is no direct line from NCCPA to AAPA it would be naive to think that they are not closely connected. It is in the best interest of both organizations to keep the other happy. To that end the AAPA has always refused to confront the NCCPA. Anyone remember the CME logging debacle when the NCCPA completely steamrolled the AAPA? Since the NCCPA answers to no one they don't take the AAPA very seriously. As for the NCCPA BOD that is simply window dressing. Trust me,

If you have some information about psychometric testing as it relates to PA how about sharing?

Most PAs (students and those already practicing) have no clue what is going on in the medical world and the problems our profession faces.

Lazy, don't care, passive, don't know, don't want to know-----will not help us promote ourselves.

I went to this last Emory PA review in Atlanta. I met many good people, but most of them don't know about the AAPA, this forum, the problems we face, or even have much knowledge of the NCCPA and the exam they are going to take.

They live and move in their "thirty-mile-plus world".

That is true of most of the people I met at Emory. Understand, they are great people, and I'm sure most of them are top-notch PAs. They just don't have a clue about what is going on.

Most PAs (students and those already practicing) have no clue what is going on in the medical world and the problems our profession faces.

Lazy, don't care, passive, don't know, don't want to know-----will not help us promote ourselves.

I went to this last Emory PA review in Atlanta. I met many good people, but most of them don't know about the AAPA, this forum, the problems we face, or even have much knowledge of the NCCPA and the exam they are going to take.

They live and move in their "thirty-mile-plus world".

That is true of most of the people I met at Emory. Understand, they are great people, and I'm sure most of them are top-notch PAs. They just don't have a clue about what is going on.

This is unfortunately VERY true. I see more apathy in our profession now, than I have ever seen before. Most PA's I encounter have a "job" mentality. Let me just show up and do my shift....nothing extra, nothing more. It makes me sad. I try to encourage my PA's to do a little more, to teach, give presentations, do some research, sit on some committees, etc. Most of the time I get a horrified look, and a "no thanks".

But this, at least in my opinion, has been born out of the success that the AAPA and others have had. For those PA's in practice less than 10-15 years, what battles have we really had? What MAJOR obstacles have we really faced? It has become easy, and therefore it becomes someone else's problem.....Unfortunately, most PA's don't realize just how quickly we can lose a LOT of ground.

I feel very differently about the AAPA, partially because my personal experience has been different. When I have had problems, I have never had an issue talking to someone there, and they have been nothing but courteous and professional towards me. They haven't always been able to solve my problems, but at the end of a conversation I have always had a very good understanding as to why. Same with the NCCPA. This doesn't mean I am always happy with either organization, but I also realize that there are 79,000 PA's, and that sometimes the interests of the profession run counter to my own.

The general direction of the AAPA is set at the strategic planning meetings of the BOD. The BOD is comprised of elected PA's. If you want to change that direction, you need a small group of PA's to sit on the BOD.

I do agree with many of the resolutions in the House over the past 7-10 years being somewhat "fluffy". But who is threatening our profession? Could you expand upon that? Is someone threatening to take away PA licensure in some state? Is someone threatening to limit PA practice? What are these threats that you speak of? Most state based threats are handled by the state academy....

The AAPA does occasionally confront the NCCPA, look at their release last year as pertains to the proposed 10 year recertification cycle, but they have no power at all with the NCCPA. Both organizations want to maintain collegiality, and they do for the most part, but the NCCPA does not answer to the AAPA.

I agree that many of the younger PAs do seem to have an apathetic "not my problem" attitude. Gone are the days when PAs all over the country dug into their pockets to fund the campaigns for enabling legislation in places like NJ and MS against stiff opposition from medical and nursing groups in those states. And you are right there have no major struggles in recent yrs. And as a result the AAPA has grown fat and lazy and NCCPA has become more arrogant.

I'm not sure if your comment about current threats is directed at me or not. I don't see any major threats at this time other than those presented by the NCCPA and their lack of transparency coupled with the ability to have a major impact on the professional lives and livelihood of just about all PAs with no accontability.

No comments directed at anybody personally.

I am glad "some" have had positive interactions with the AAPA.

IMHO, the way things are now and the attitudes I see and hear, there may be no coming major changes in our profession for some time.

Of course, now and then one hears of positive things.

I have not heard much good about AAPA or NCCPA here in this forum.

Positive comments. Being a PA is great; there's nothing I'd rather be at this point in my life.

I am fortunate in that probably nothing catastrophic will happen before I hang my stethoscope up for the last time.

I am living and have lived both a fulfilling career and life. I owe much of that to the privilege of being a PA.

Archived