What do you think of this Volunteer Abroad program?

http://www.islonline.org/destinations/mexico/

Is it a cop out to do a volunteer program in Cancun? The trip is a great price. What do you think? Thanks :)!

I would recommend staying away from the many companies that have huge fees to volunteer, unless you really are just looking to be able to check a box saying you did international volunteering. Covering costs is one thing, but anything beyond that becomes too much of a commercial enterprise for my liking. I would suggest you look to an NGO like All Hands Volunteers (http://hands.org/) or other similar groups that do not charge you to volunteer your time.

Thanks for the suggestion, and I agree about the huge fees. But I am looking for a health/medical volunteer program. Do you have any other suggestions that involve healthcare?

I did one last year through international volunteer HQ. Their fees are very reasonable and they have tons of options to chose from. I went to Cusco Peru for two weeks. It was absolutely amazing!

Thanks! It's amazing how this program is $250 for a week, when other programs out there are in the thousands! But all the medical volunteer programs ask that you be a med student.

What do you think of the program I posted? Would it sound bad to say I did my volunteer experience in Cancun?

Thanks! It's amazing how this program is $250 for a week, when other programs out there are in the thousands! But all the medical volunteer programs ask that you be a med student.

What do you think of the program I posted? Would it sound bad to say I did my volunteer experience in Cancun?

For any real medical volunteering, you will need to bring some type of medical experience to the table. They can generally find all the unskilled help they need in country and the people they train don't go back to the US and run off to PA school.

I don't think people will judge you based on where your volunteer experience is. I think they will be more likely to ulterior motives. Do you want to volunteer for the sake of volunteering or for the sake of getting into PA school? If you are confident that you're doing it for the right reasons, then nothing else should matter.

They make it cheaper because they contract with local volunteer places in the towns you go to. For Peru for example, the cost in US dollars allows you to get much more out of your volunteer experience due to the exchange rate. I went last year with just a masters degree, no degree. I got to work in a clinic and an orphanage doing physicals. You just need to be able to show you have some medical knowledge. They may prefer you are in school but if you tell them you are going to be becoming a PA student they will work with you. They did for me. Check it out, call! It really is so great for the price!

Archived