Anyone else submit an application?

Guest hubbardtim48

I submitted my application a few weeks ago. I was wondering what other applicants/graduates stats were (i.e. major, gpa, health care experience, volunteer etc...)? I have been a registered respiratory therapist for 3 1/2 years. Have worked in several hospitals (level 1 trauma center, agency work, et a rural 50-bed hospital) I have a B.S. in RT, minor in chemistry, et minor in biomedical sciences. I have hundreds of hours of volunteering (local and aboard)/shadowing, 1 1/2 years of ungrad. reserach experience in biochemistry (1500+ hours), published reserach article, and have BLS, ACLS, PALS, NRP, et PEARS. Ungrad. GPA = 3.1 Grad. GPA=3.85 (Masters in Health Science). This is most of the stuff on my application, but I would love to hear from others. Thanks!!! :)

Sure! I am sure I am the OLDEST of this thread, if not the ENTIRE pre-PA forum-ha! I am a Concordia College-Moorhead grad with a 1990 BA in Dietetics and Exericise Science. I have been a Registered Dietitian for 20 years, a Certified Diabetes Educator for 16 years and have working full time in hospitals wherever we've lived-MN, SD, ND and Canada. In addition I have been a certified personal trainer since my sophmore year in college and currently own my own business which I run in the evenings and weekends as well as provide sports nutrition and dry-line training for my husband's hockey camps throughout the summer. My GPA is 3.3 and pretty much my entire professional experience is hospital-based mainly doing diabetes education and weight management programs. Once I made up my mind to do this 2 years ago this wait has been soooooooooooo long! I hope we ALL get in and get on what it! Cathy

I'm pretty sure you are not the oldest here...I have had a 20 career as an Respiratory Therapist. Seen it, done it, been there, I have worked all phases of RT-dom, ER, NICU, HC, ICU, CCU, and as a plain ole Ventolin jockey... ....I became an RT with two small children to support and a household to run....my sons are grown...both are serving in the military one is SF (Green Beret) and the other a Ranger.....so once they left home, I walked away from a pretty nice career to do something better, which was to obtain my BS in Health Science and become a PA. I just turned 48. (I don't feel or look 48) I am ready to get into a program, wherever that may be, and come back to the small community I call home and practice. I have MD's waiting to hire me.

I guess I could post all of the GPA,( 3.8 accum, 3.4 science) accomplishments, work history etc...but really if we all have gotten this far, surely we have the specifics needed to get into a program.

The waiting is what is the worst. In the mean time, I will continue to shadow a couple of PAs in our area and work. I will wait this out like the rest of you. Have any of you decided what you might want to specialize in? This seems to be the number one question I have been asked. Heck, I just want to get into a program is what I answer. ;) I'm pretty sure the mailman thinks I am his stalker! lol Good Luck to all of you...hopefully we will all be hearing something soon. Congratulations to all of you for making it this far!

Hey armymommax2 that's cool! I have heard there are alot of RT that become PA's. Also have heard RD's becoming them are on the rise. Despite my "a little bit older age" at least compared to the new grads on this forum, we waited till really established our careers before we started our family, so our kids are 7 and 9 and life is sort of crazy with all their activities and us working all the time so -if its meant to be- when I finally start I will cut out those other jobs and just be a student and mom and a wife. Do you live in the Midwest? We relocated to Bismarck, ND a few years ago and with no longer being a part of a huge healthcare system I found some incredible differences in several things the way my dietitian/diabetes educator career was going and that's when I said, time to pursue that PA thing I've had in the back of my mind for a while! I can't wait to hear and then ***get accepted*** and finally start! Hey you other UND apps, what's your story?

Hi guys! My name is Lisa and I am a medical social worker in northern Michigan. I have been in the health care field for 5 years and work with physicians to monitor and treat mood behavior and cognition for thosevwith mental illness. I am also a part time phlebotomist for the care facility I work at and a local doctors office. I am so excited to make this transition and can't wait to hopefully get accepted to this program. I'm 31 years old and I think the hardest part so far has been worrying about if I will get in or not. Best of luck to you all!!!

Well I am a little older then most at 56 applying to UND PA program. I was a respiratory therapist several years ago. Since then I have done many things. Today I am a chiropractor. My GPA was not that great. 3.18 in chiro school, but that is not bad considering we studied the same basic sciences as med school. I had my telephone interview on 8-30-11. I'm not sure how it went. I haven't heard from them yet for the Doctor phone interview.

Thanks for the re-assurance. I am a bit "antsy" and want all this done yesterday. Patience is not my strong suit..lol! I just want everything out of my way so I cant get on with my education. My app was completely in place and sent the end of June.

What made you decide to change careers? (just curious) I live in NW Arkansas. This program was first brought to my attention by an RN. She was enrolled in UND and I was knocking out pre-reqs for my BS to go the PA school. I contacted the school, and they were just starting to open it up for other professions in medicine. I tailored my degree around their curriculum. I live in an area which is pretty under-served. There are only 5-6 mid levels practicing in our area, and the MD's are hungry for more. This program is ideal for me, although I did apply to others.

There is only one PA program in Arkansas, so I had to make sure my bases were covered. Either way, I will have to re-locate if UND doesn't accept me....so we will see.....:) fingers crossed!

Hey ArmyMomma2 you are for sure going to get an interview! I was so excited the day I posted that I got a interview letter. but then they contacted me the very next day saying they needed to postpone my interview for another month, because they double booked themselves, as in, the current class will be on campus at the time they set up my first interview, which they overlooked, thus the need to postpone my interview for a month. Sounds like they started doing some interviews, like docpowers has had his/hers, but discovered this oversight. Oh I know the wait is soooo awful, I mean I can't think of waiting for something like this ever in my life, at any rate, I guess I will count "the wait" as an experience I'll never forget! Ok, here's to WE'RE ALL GONNA GET IN and GET ON WITH OUR LIVES!

Guest hubbardtim48

I did not have to take pharmacology since I had it while I was in respiratory therapy school. What other science classes (200 level) have people taken for the 5 year limit? I have taken genetics, micro., molecular bio.,organic I, biochem., cardiopulm. phys., & pharmacology (for my masters). Thanks for your input! I hope we all hear back soon!! I can't wait till Dec!!! :)

• 1 month later...
Guest hubbardtim48

I just interviewed about two hours ago! It went very well and they were so nice and not over bearing. It was a smooth process with the camera and phone interaction. The interview was very personal and talked about clinical experiences which are great so that everyone can since in their glory! I hope you do very well armymommax2! Good luck everyone! :)

Archived