New Grad blues

Given the number of jobs posted on the various sites in the Seattle area, I thought I wouldn't have too much of a problem finding my first job here. But no one wants a new grad. 2-3 yrs experience is the rule, not the exception, and I'm left asking myself that old question, "How am I supposed to get the experience they require if no one will hire me as a new grad?" I send resumes out and to this point 95% have been ignored. A fellow new grad is having the same problems. I went to a good school, have plenty of prior experience, but I get nowhere. Anyone have any ideas what I can do to improve my situation? I keep seeing the same jobs posted over and over and even though I've sent my application, they post it again. Starting to feel a little unwelcome in all this.

Difficult and common problem.

Although as new schools sprout up and more new grads are spit out, and the competition for jobs is increasing, do not get discouraged, there is a place for you in this profession.

To find it, you may have to bend your path a little.

Remember, many if not most of the recurring recruitment adds are in fact merely placed there to garnish resumes for the future, they have no intention nor need for immediate hire (there is a large EM group in maryland which does this chronically). Their goal is to have a buncha resumes available SHOULD they develope a need.

Network. you know that.

Evaluate your goals. Flex. Center in on "new grads welcome" adds, and apply and call these. Even if taking one of these jobs means that you may have to move for a year or two, or is in an practice type you don't think of as your first choice, take it.

Geography and practice type (and many times salary) desires rapidly diminish as the bills come due and no income comes in.

Look at academic centers/ training centers where you might be able to "get your feet wet" and garnish some experience at being a PA.

Be willing to sacrifice salary, practice type or geographic desires (or all three), and GET THAT FIRST JOB..

It is all a trade off...

and it doesn't stop. At the end of your career, should you want to change specialties and try something different, you will find that age/experience/looming retirement etc are all perceived as strong employment negatives, just as the absence of experience is being perceived in you case.

You say that you have a lot HCE. Do you have any contacts in those jobs which could help you?

(I helped a new grad get a job in an ED which didn't hire newbies, based on my experience w/ her as a tech, and being able to recommend her maturity, intellect and reliability, and belief that she would more quickly than most bloom into a superstar... I think my recommendation went a long way to help her).

Good luck.

v/r

davis

Everything Davis said, and you gotta get out of Seattle. Seriously. Try the coast. The tri-cities. The whole darn rest of the state. There are plenty of community health centers in WA state that would love to hire you, even as a new grad. You could probably return later but at least you're gonna have to get some experience first.

Having said that, is Kaiser Perm/Group Health no longer hiring new grad PAs? They may not be...but you should check if you are absolutely not willing to leave Seattle. And if you're not willing to leave, it may be a LONG dry spell, and I don't know what recent grad can afford that.

Best of luck.

Keep to a MUA. "Medically underserved area"

They need alot of help and its the best place to gain experience.

Given the number of jobs posted on the various sites in the Seattle area, I thought I wouldn't have too much of a problem finding my first job here. But no one wants a new grad. 2-3 yrs experience is the rule, not the exception, and I'm left asking myself that old question, "How am I supposed to get the experience they require if no one will hire me as a new grad?" I send resumes out and to this point 95% have been ignored. A fellow new grad is having the same problems. I went to a good school, have plenty of prior experience, but I get nowhere. Anyone have any ideas what I can do to improve my situation? I keep seeing the same jobs posted over and over and even though I've sent my application, they post it again. Starting to feel a little unwelcome in all this.

Thanks for your responses. All very good advice. Moving out of the Seattle area isn't possible due to my wife's job situation. Had I done all this 10 years ago I would have happily moved to Alaska, the deep woods of Maine, New Jersey even, to get this new grad experience. But along with the obligations of marriage come the compromises of where best to locate. Given my wife's highly specific training, this is the only place to be. So I continue to network as best I can knowing no one in the medical community here and pick over the job postings. Something will hit eventually, I know, but I never thought it would be this difficult. Thanks again for the help.

Almost 30 years ago my PA mentor moved from Iowa City to Salem, Oregon with her crisp PA diploma. Nobody would hire her...because they didn't know what she could do. She ended up working FOR FREE for a CHC for 6 months...when they saw what she could do, they hired her. Not something most of us want to do, but you could offer yourself as a PA auditioner in a number of different settings...and see if something opens up.

Have you been networking with WAPA?

Good luck!

LIsa

Thanks for your responses. All very good advice. Moving out of the Seattle area isn't possible due to my wife's job situation. Had I done all this 10 years ago I would have happily moved to Alaska, the deep woods of Maine, New Jersey even, to get this new grad experience. But along with the obligations of marriage come the compromises of where best to locate. Given my wife's highly specific training, this is the only place to be. So I continue to network as best I can knowing no one in the medical community here and pick over the job postings. Something will hit eventually, I know, but I never thought it would be this difficult. Thanks again for the help.

Yes. I finally got my login info for the Careers section of WAPA and got alot of help from the folks there. A good contact I was given at MEDEX lead me to a job that I applied to last night and got a call back already this morning! I feel the tide changing. Hope its not a rip tide . . . :)

Thanks for your help, all.

Consider the prison system. I have seen ads for them in the northwest. Also try what one PA did in our practice. She went to the monthly meetings of the local physicians specialty association. This showed she was interested and willing to network. She got hired even though she was a new grad without specialty experience. MEDEX has saturated the area unfortunately.

• 2 weeks later...
Have you tried Kaiser? they have a ton of NW positions posted...
I know I have. I've been hounding them; applied for every job they have in Wa/Or and not 1 call back.

I'll be honest, I'm in the same boat as the OP. I have plenty of contacts, good references, years of HCE as an ER nurse, and I feel like I'm trying to sell ice to eskimos... "The curse of the new grad..."

The portland area has a huge amount of jobs on the boards (OSPA, SEMPA, AAPA, Indeed, ect)... I started out looking at ER/Urgent care... Then I broadened it to IM and surgery, then FP. Now I'd just be happy to get a job where I can practice some form of medicine and stay in this area...

I FEEL YOUR PAIN

...maybe I have halitosis...?

Congrats! It only takes one first job...everything else will follow.

Read widely, recognize the first 3 years are a steep learning curve, and remember how grateful you are now for this chance. You will do well.

L.

After alot of patience and persistence, I was finally offered a position today and couldn't be happier about it. Thanks for all the great advice, everyone.

• 1 month later...
Guest Sonya by Bike

I'm in the same boat. I had a promising interview but a PA that already worked for the system got the job.

I am getting very tired of looking for jobs. Pacific Northwest doesn't love PAs the way the East Coast does. I'll be damned if I move back to New York though :(

• 7 months later...
Guest kenallison

I'm not sure if this thread is still open, but I'm looking to bring on a licensed PA, new grad or not!

I'm the President the co-op Satica's Patient Unity Project, and due to the new laws passed in Washington PA's can now visit with patients, and write medical authorizations.

This is exciting news, but it must be taken advantage of quickly!

As long as you're licensed, are an honest and caring person, with an open mind you are perfect for the position. The position is part time to start out, 8 hour days, a couple days a week. Starting at $100/hr!

Get in touch with me ASAP if interested!

Thanks!

Ken

KenAllison@saticagrowing.com

206-883-9150

• 1 month later...

Though the OP posted their comments a year ago, things have not changed. I too am a new grad from a good E coast program, and have ZERO desire to go back to the E coast to work. I have CVs abound, and also have a pending license in CO. Non the less, I have applied for jobs all over the state, even in fields I am not interested in. I have submitted my CV to Community health clinics, rural health clinics etc.

This is becoming very daunting, and although I feel I shouldn't take the current economic climate personally, I am beginning to. Any advise is appreciated, and welcomed.

Archived