Can I Make it Through PA School?

I have ALWAYS wanted to be in the medical field, but underwent 2 major operations on my neck almost 10 years ago that have left me disabled. The subsequent instability in my neck causes me constant chronic pain. I was able to finish my 2 year degree and transfer onto a 4 year college where I am pursuing a bachelors degree. My desire to be a doctor or PA has never gone away no matter how bad my situation has gotten. I want to know some honest opinions on how hard PA school is physically. I am certain that I can complete the schooling mentally, but I am not sure if I can physically withstand it. I never had a "backup" plan for my life, and nothing interests me the way medicine does. Any advice on how demanding PA school is physically, if the program would be able to accommodate my disability, etc., would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

I have ALWAYS wanted to be in the medical field, but underwent 2 major operations on my neck almost 10 years ago that have left me disabled. The subsequent instability in my neck causes me constant chronic pain. I was able to finish my 2 year degree and transfer onto a 4 year college where I am pursuing a bachelors degree. My desire to be a doctor or PA has never gone away no matter how bad my situation has gotten. I want to know some honest opinions on how hard PA school is physically. I am certain that I can complete the schooling mentally, but I am not sure if I can physically withstand it. I never had a "backup" plan for my life, and nothing interests me the way medicine does. Any advice on how demanding PA school is physically, if the program would be able to accommodate my disability, etc., would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

I don't know the extent of your disability, but every program will have a written policy regarding technical standards for admission. It will include a section on motor and observation requirements. Go to the websites of the programs you're interested in and read their policies. Only you can determine if you're capable of it.

I've only been in PA school for two months. So far the most physically-demanding thing I've done was the dissection of the neck of our cadaver, which required me to stand in one place, hunched over, for 2 hours. I could have avoided the back pain that resulted by asking a team member to switch with me more frequently. I learned my lesson.

I don't know the extent of your disability, but every program will have a written policy regarding technical standards for admission. It will include a section on motor and observation requirements. Go to the websites of the programs you're interested in and read their policies. Only you can determine if you're capable of it.

I've only been in PA school for two months. So far the most physically-demanding thing I've done was the dissection of the neck of our cadaver, which required me to stand in one place, hunched over, for 2 hours. I could have avoided the back pain that resulted by asking a team member to switch with me more frequently. I learned my lesson.

I am applying to PA school right now, I've had Ulcerative Colitis/Crohn's Disease through part of high school and all of my bachelor's degree (they can't give me a definitive diagnosis). I don't know how you are limited, when my disease flares I deal with fatigue, join pain, malnutrition, and much abdominal discomfort. For this reason I chose a few programs that have a part time option so if I do get sick during school I can slow down. Physically you do have to be able to perform CPR, stand for long periods of time, and hold retractors ect. If you think these things are within your abilities, I think chances are good you could make it through. I am not in school yet, but I've been watching a close friend who is now in her first clinical rotation. I think PA school is going to be a challenge for me, but with determination I know I'll make it. I'd say the best thing you can do is shadow some PA's, ask them what think, but most importantly decide if you could see yourself in the profession long term.

When I was picking out schools the first thing I did was read the technical standards as mentioned in the previous post. This is a pretty common list of standards http://paprogram.mc.duke.edu/PA-Program/Technical-Standards/ If that seems reasonable look for programs with similar requirements. Do be aware that there are some programs that can deny you admission based on having a chronic medical condition such as Northwestern University in Chicago http://www.familymedicine.northwestern.edu/pa_program/Program%20Information/Technical_Standards.html I did not apply to any of these schools as I figured if they can deny you admission they are less likely to be accommodating if you would need extra help in some way.

I'd say do your research, get an understanding of the profession, the curriculum for the schools you are interested in, and make sure the profession is a life style you could maintain for the long term. And also keep in mind that the intense schooling is only 2-3years, once you get out you will have a lot more say in your hours and working environment. I for example am leaning away from high stress specialties with many on call hours such as Emergency Medicine, OBGYN, or Surgery. I might change my mind in school, but I think I'll be healthier working more regular hours. this is part of the reason I chose PA over MD as well, I thought 2-3 years of training was more doable that 7+ and then I should have time to have a family and actually enjoy them. It couldn't hurt to call the schools your interested in as well and see if they think you would be a good candidate. From what I've heard if you are accepted by a good program they work hard to make sure you become a practicing PA. Feel free to private message me, I've done a fair amount of research on particular schools, and living with disabilities particularly invisible disabilities. I hope this helps!

I am applying to PA school right now, I've had Ulcerative Colitis/Crohn's Disease through part of high school and all of my bachelor's degree (they can't give me a definitive diagnosis). I don't know how you are limited, when my disease flares I deal with fatigue, join pain, malnutrition, and much abdominal discomfort. For this reason I chose a few programs that have a part time option so if I do get sick during school I can slow down. Physically you do have to be able to perform CPR, stand for long periods of time, and hold retractors ect. If you think these things are within your abilities, I think chances are good you could make it through. I am not in school yet, but I've been watching a close friend who is now in her first clinical rotation. I think PA school is going to be a challenge for me, but with determination I know I'll make it. I'd say the best thing you can do is shadow some PA's, ask them what think, but most importantly decide if you could see yourself in the profession long term.

When I was picking out schools the first thing I did was read the technical standards as mentioned in the previous post. This is a pretty common list of standards http://paprogram.mc.duke.edu/PA-Program/Technical-Standards/ If that seems reasonable look for programs with similar requirements. Do be aware that there are some programs that can deny you admission based on having a chronic medical condition such as Northwestern University in Chicago http://www.familymedicine.northwestern.edu/pa_program/Program%20Information/Technical_Standards.html I did not apply to any of these schools as I figured if they can deny you admission they are less likely to be accommodating if you would need extra help in some way.

I'd say do your research, get an understanding of the profession, the curriculum for the schools you are interested in, and make sure the profession is a life style you could maintain for the long term. And also keep in mind that the intense schooling is only 2-3years, once you get out you will have a lot more say in your hours and working environment. I for example am leaning away from high stress specialties with many on call hours such as Emergency Medicine, OBGYN, or Surgery. I might change my mind in school, but I think I'll be healthier working more regular hours. this is part of the reason I chose PA over MD as well, I thought 2-3 years of training was more doable that 7+ and then I should have time to have a family and actually enjoy them. It couldn't hurt to call the schools your interested in as well and see if they think you would be a good candidate. From what I've heard if you are accepted by a good program they work hard to make sure you become a practicing PA. Feel free to private message me, I've done a fair amount of research on particular schools, and living with disabilities particularly invisible disabilities. I hope this helps!

I have what is called dysautonomia. Most people faint with the disorder, but I do not. I think I have a fairly mild case of it and suffer more from IBD and fibromyalgia type symptoms with occasional dizziness. I have never fainted though. Anyways, I am glad someone posted a thread like this because I too have been somewhat worried about how I will fair out physically in PA school. I have tremendeous drive and the heart and mind are willing but sometimes the body screams stop :P ..

I have what is called dysautonomia. Most people faint with the disorder, but I do not. I think I have a fairly mild case of it and suffer more from IBD and fibromyalgia type symptoms with occasional dizziness. I have never fainted though. Anyways, I am glad someone posted a thread like this because I too have been somewhat worried about how I will fair out physically in PA school. I have tremendeous drive and the heart and mind are willing but sometimes the body screams stop :P ..

Archived