Proper capitalization for levels of trauma centers...

Awesome EM folks,

I have a grammar question regarding the capitalization of the word "trauma center." I don't know if it even matters but I'm referencing it in my secondary apps and I'd appreciate clarification (if there is any).

I've seen Level II trauma center (in mid-sentence) and Level II Trauma Center (again in mid-sentence) both referenced in the hospital where I work and by the mighty Google. Does the capitalization of the "t" and "c" even matter for this and is a roman numeral the way to go? I don't want to make a grammar mistake or offend anyone if I don't have to. :=D: I don't work again until next week, hence the post without asking at work first.

Thank you!

I believe capital letters are used for formal names. So if I run you down to the local trauma center after an MVA, it's lower case. But if I take you to the R. Adams Cowley Regional Trauma Center, then it's upper case. Make sense? (or Suburban Trauma Center, or Washington Hospital Center Trauma Center, or Emanual Trauma Center...pick your favorite)

Washington Hospital Center Trauma Center)

did my trauma surgery rotation there. 1st rotation and best of 8. the locals all called it "Washington Hospital Medstar" ( as does the patch I got there).

alternating 24 and 12 hr days for 5 weeks. 1 day off in 5 weeks. > 600 hrs in 1 rotation. I was the only student on the service with the navy surgical trauma team rotation. it was a beautiful thing.

I did 9 weeks of my 12 week surgical technician practical there. Scrubbing cases during the mid 90's crack cocaine wars. Working on cases where guys had point blank shotgun blasts to their lower legs. Great experience.

we may have been there at the same time....

Archived