I had forgotten what being a bachelor was like

Not divorced, but living solo at school for the term. As a 38 year old, been married for a dozen years, raising kids...I had forgotten what it takes to get settled into a new place. I showed up in the dorms on Saturday and as I unpacked, I realized how truly short sighted my planning for this moment was.

Trash cans, liners for can, a bath mat, food containers for left overs, a decent kitchen knife, coffee pot filters, can opener, some sort of analgesic, dish towels, sponge, dish soap, laundry basket, cover for the mattress (dorm beds are not that comfy)....all these things I have sitting in various corners of my home 200 miles away but I have no desire to make the trip. I am just really amazed at how unprepared I was for this adventure. I have probably spent over 500 bucks on duplicate crap and it really chaps my backside.

So as a heads up to my fellow PA-Ss...don't let the bright lights of the big city blind you (aka: focus on the small details). Other than that, been having fun in Seattle :-)

My first night alone in my new apartment I went to make some nice easy tuna...until I realized I didn't have a can opener. You just have to chalk it up to nerves.

I wish you luck living in a dorm. I hope your neighbors are curteous and not like the little s**ts that live around me.

• 5 weeks later...
My first night alone in my new apartment I went to make some nice easy tuna...until I realized I didn't have a can opener. You just have to chalk it up to nerves.

I wish you luck living in a dorm. I hope your neighbors are curteous and not like the little s**ts that live around me.

Hahahahahaha.....not laughing at you, just laughing. There are so many thins we take for granted in our "created" lives. I cannot imagine what it would be like to start over, per se.....even if it was just for a while.

Archived