Advice on best books to study for PANCE

Hi. I graduated from a PA program 10 yrs ago and never practiced. My husband started a business and got involved with that. I am in a situation where I need to take my Pance exam so I can work as a PA now. I need advice on what books/cds etc to start with. Things have changed alot and am overwhelmed. Please help.

i thought you had 6 years to take PANCE once you graduate? If it's beyond 6 years i also thought you have to go through PA school all over again. I could be dead wrong though, not sure how that works.

Van Rhee is pretty short but gives a decent quick review. If you can do exam master online questions, do them as well. Do more questions than anything, worked for me. Good luck!

I seem to remember that if you don't pass the PANCE within a year or so of graduation, you have to back to PA school. You need to get in touch with the NCCPA and find out what your options are... I'm pretty sure that if you never got certified you are out of luck.

ETA - just found this on the NCCPA web site... Since you graduated before 2003, I don't know where you stand precisely.

Limitations on Eligibility: The Six-Years-Six-Attempts Rule

Individuals who have never been certified and who graduated from an ARC-PA accredited physician assistant program on or after January 1, 2003, will be eligible to take PANCE for up to six years after completing the requirements for graduation from that program. During that six-year period, PANCE may be taken a total of six times. When either the six attempts or six years are exhausted, whichever occurs sooner, the individual loses eligibility to take PANCE. The only way to establish new eligibility is to complete an unabridged ARC-PA accredited physician assistant educational program again.

Wow. If Rianna hasn't ever taken the PANCE, can you imagine how her heart sank/broke when she read the first reply? Acebecker gave us a quotation from the NCCPA site about the PANCE but note that it says "if you graduated after 2003." Since the OP graduated 10 years ago, perhaps there was, as mtg111 stated, a different rule.

That said, I can't imagine studying for a test in which you have no experience and have not studied in the past 10 years. Were I in that position, I would certainly not read books but would start finding some great PANCE preparation courses given live and get yourself back in a seat. You need to rub shoulders with some working PAs to catch up on the lingo, the professional standards, and the expectations for current PAs. All the best to you Rianna!

Archived