"Musings on a beaten horse"; or, "A title held hostage".

I know this horse has been beaten to death, skeletonized, the bones ground, then milled into a fine powder, the powder baked into biscuit, and the biscuit long since having fully transited the gut..

(caveat: none of the following I believe ever would, could, or even should, happen; it's just a philosophic "thing" that's occured to me from time to time).

It's sort of a shame that the term "physician" automatically equates a Doctor. Everyone, rightfully, understands that it does.

In my mind, essentially every type of pragmatically-independant-thinking clinitian IS a

physician of sorts. Hopefully you see what I mean; I'm typing on an iPhone here and don't want to write too much...but think of psychologists; some have doctoral degrees, some masters, &cet...

In my world, the ideal naming conventions for our various interrelated professions would be thus:

1) A physician/doc as we know it would officially be a "doctoral-physician" or physician-doctor" or similar; and, simply, "doctor" for short. Sound familiar? Still the captain, as it should be.

2) We (PAs) would simply be "physicians"...not doctors, just simply physicians. Suffix simply your degree.

3) NPs would be nurse-physicians; ergo, CRNP = certified registered nurse physicians, FNP = family nurse physicians, etc.

This scheme even allow for cranky patients: "I want to see a doctor, not just a physician", lol.

That's something I've ruminated on, but never discussed with anyone; just had to share.

What you say makes sense, but we know that life doesn't operate on rationality. Of course you know that this couldn't happen in our lifetime, however I want to share an old Chinese proverb (which you may have heard before) that illustrates why we don't just give up and say that it is impossible.

There was an old Chinese man that one day took a basket and shovel to the mountain in front of his house. He shoveled up some dirt on the mountain, carried down to the valley and dumped it. Then he climbed the mountain again and repeated his actions.

A group of young men were watching and snickering. "Old man" they said, "What are you doing?"

"Oh, I've decided to move this mountain so that you can see the sea from my house and feel its cool breezes."

The crowd of young men burst out in laughter. "Old man . . . you can't remove a mountain with a shovel and basket!"

He put down his shovel, took off his bamboo hat and wiped the sweat from his balding head with a rag. "Well, I beg to differ. I will dig on this mountain every day for the rest of my life. Then my four sons will dig and carry on. After they have dug to a ripe old age and can no longer dig, then their sons will dig, and their sons will dig . . .until some day, and I promise you this, the mountain will be gone and you can see the sea from my home."

I use to carry a calling card explaining the title Physician (or Physician's) Assistant. A common response was "so, you are almost a doctor". Another was "OK, so you are my doctor" and continued to call me doctor. A comfort level thing I guess.

Archived