Can PA's write prescriptions for themselves?

Guest CMBPAC

Guest Lorick

While I noted that in Virginia, the Rules and Regulations expressly PERMIT Rx for self/family for single episode of an illness, specifically including controlled substances, I don't necessarily think it's a great idea.

18VAC85-50-176. Treating and prescribing for self or family.

B. A practitioner shall not prescribe a controlled substance to himself or a family member, other than Schedule VI as defined in § 54.1-3455 of the Code of Virginia, unless the prescribing occurs in an emergency situation or in isolated settings where there is no other qualified practitioner available to the patient, or it is for a single episode of an acute illness through one prescribed course of medication.

However, I agree with others that

(1) it may NOT be legal in your state

(2) it may well not be "wise", or good medical care - lack of objectivity perhaps the biggest issue - you start outpatient abx and then your family member ends up in hospital and cultures now potentially compromised, you didn't do ANYONE a favor.

(3) your doc needs to know about it, particularly if a controlled substance - note that the VA code does not require this, but I totally agree with the previous post that it is REALLY obligatory if you want to keep the doc's trust..

What I am not convinced of is that it is necessarily "unethical". In VA it IS clearly and unequivocally legal. If your kid has 102/purulent tonsils/3+nodes and does not appear sick enough to head for ER, rx is probably reasonable - if it's mono, you didn't do any harm.

However, regardless, it is probably something to be avoided, and discussed with your doc in advance! I have seen (or discussed by phone) my doc's kids/family and vice versa and we both stayed happy/comfortable that an objective provider was making decisions.

The other point I would make is regarding the comment about not prescribing unless you have seen the patient. That is simply NOT reality in most practices. If you take call for outpatients, then you are already calling in rx for patients you haven't seen. You should ALWAYS be writing a note on every call you take anyway (I generally keep a log at home if I don't have access to a dictation line or the patient's chart electronically). So as suggested by an earlier post, write a note on yourself or family member.

Hopefully in 2009, most practices are getting set up to let you access your office charts from home via your computer, just as hopefully you can access hospital studies from home when on call to the hospital. I must admit I'm old - the first time I ordered a stat CXR and it popped up on my home computer, I was awed... :) Even with "Night Hawk" services, it's nice to see a study for yourself, from your bed.

1) as said its a physician dependent position.

2) you dont want to be known as" the sneaky PA" who writes his own scripts.

3)too many ways to get in trouble in this field..

These are ALL great points...

I think that we all know at this point that being a PA means that we have to hold ourselves to a higher standard...

People do watch what we do and we (as a profession) need to avoid even the appearance of impropriety...

Even if the folks we work with every day don't see the scrip the folks at the pharmacy will...

Writing for friends and family just opens the door for more and more and more scrips for more and more and more "emergencies"... Once you open that door it will be hard to get it closed again...

• 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...

My mom's a doctor and has never felt it was ethical to write prescriptions for any of her kids/family members. With that being said, she is a anatomical pathologist, so prescribing medications is not her usual scope of practice. Although she has an M.D. and is still qualified, it's never been used to our advantage.

Archived