1099 IC v employee offer

Hi. I just received an offer for a place I really enjoyed interviewing at but I am worried with the salary talks. I am a new grad in Southern California.

The contract right now:

No benefits with the exception of malpractice, license fees, and DEA fees

Will provide CME allowance up to 2000/year

$55/hr, plus incentives for each patient I see. 

Originally they had me as a 1099, which after researching, stated I would not sign a contract to that effect. They have agreed to put me as an employee, but still no benefits are included. 

I worked it out and I would pay $9600 for health-vision-dental insurance/year, projected 4% match (which seems to be the norm from the other offers i've seen) would be about $5000 I think (though i know a bit more goes into this), life insurance would cost between $600-$1000. Plus about $10,000 lost from no PTO. 

Even with all that worked out I still comes to around $90,000 take home before taxes. 

Is that worth it? I know it may be a little low, but the benefits of bring close to home and the staff willing to teach me makes it seem like a great start for the first couple years before transitioning to a ER for good.

any insight would be great

Compared to what? Posters on this forum have asked about jobs that pay in the $70-$75 or $80 k range with reasonable benefits. This job seems to be paying you to take care of your own benefits. What pay can you get elsewhere with full benefits? That's really the comparison you need to make. If you are young and healthy, you may not need a lot of PTO for a year or two. If you don't have a family, that makes it even easier to forego these benefits. As is often the case, this problem contains its own solution! Look at your options. See what yields the best (after tax) take home pay. Consider what risks you are comfortable with.

Archived