ICU rotation?

I'm starting an ICU rotation in a week - has anyone here done one?

I've been told I'll just be observing for the first few days, which will be good since I'll be able to see the patient presentation style on rounds. There's just a few things I'm nervous about though (like how do you do a physical exam on a heavily sedated and intubated patient?!!)...does anyone have any tips of what to read over/know about before I start? I've been skimming Marino's ICU book but that's about it.

Thanks!

I really enjoyed my ICU rotation.  The book you have is great.  Yes examining the comatose patient is difficult but basically you want to do a GCS, check the pupils, listen to the chest, palpate the abdomen and legs, check the peripheral pulses, look at any surgical sites or wounds, check the foley, chest tube if present, any other output/drains, review the vent settings, labs, imaging and recent notes.  If they are responsive, see what commands they can follow, if they have equal strength in all four limbs.  And not all ICU patients are intubated, some are there for other indications and can provide you with a history.  You will be fine!

Archived