Military PA age limits and waivers?

Hi All,

Does anyone know if there are age waivers for commissioning as a PA in any of the branches. I'm currently enlisted in the CA Air National Guard. My base does not have PA's and I can't get an answer to my question. I'm 40 now, and just applying to school so it looks like I would need a waiver, not I'm not sure that's even a possibility. I'd appreciate any input.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Administrator

Not an authoritative source here, but I believe the answer will depend on how many years of service you already have in--that is, the more service you've already done, the higher the age (to a certain limit) at which you'd be allowed to be commissioned in a medical capacity.  When I actually knew the answer to that, it was about being able to get 20 in before a certain age... but of course, this may have completely changed since then.

I can only speak for the Army and the age is 42. And 42 is reserve and guard, active duty is 36 (I am almost positive that is the case).  There are waivers out there but not for any age over 42, but here is a caviat, if there is a "need" anything is possible, so I would talk to a healthcare recruiter and see what their numbers look like for the year.  From what I'm hearing the Army didn't do to well in recruiting this year.

• Like 1

The max age in the Navy is 42 y/o at the time of commissioning, and my understanding is that there are NO waivers available, even with prior enlisted service time (at least, that's the "official" answer).

From the bottom of the Medical Service Corps Inservice Procurement Program page, see this (emphasis original):

You must not have reached your 42nd birthday by the time of initial appointment/commissioning. NO AGE WAIVER WILL BE GRANTED.

It all depends on the needs of the service.  At the height of the Iraq war, the army was offering two year contracts with no eligibility for retirement for PAs up to (get this) age 60, for only US placements (backfill).  I was at AAPA and got so used to saying "I'm too old" to the recruiters when they surprised me with that one year.  I think it was the last time we were in San antonio. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It all depends on the needs of the service.  At the height of the Iraq war, the army was offering two year contracts with no eligibility for retirement for PAs up to (get this) age 60, for only US placements (backfill).  I was at AAPA and got so used to saying "I'm too old" to the recruiters when they surprised me with that one year.  I think it was the last time we were in San antonio. 

Well, true - it does depend on the needs of the service, but we're giving the OP info based on current needs, which are nowhere near as high as "at the height of the Iraq war."

• 4 years later...