State License Question

Alright so here is the deal. I've passed the PANCE and now I need to apply for a state license. In my state there are two separate license applications for both an MD and a DO. My question is that I am currently applying for jobs and therefore obviously have no idea what my supervising physician will be (DO or MD)...so what should I do in this case? Do I just wait to apply for a license until I am hired by either one? Isn't it better to apply to jobs already having a license?

Another point I wanted to make is that I live around the border of multiple states where it would beneficial for me to look at any of those states to work in. Should I apply for every one of those states while I am looking for a job? I know these licenses are expensive. Or can the company/practice still hire me with the implication that I will get my license once they hire me? Obviously I'm confused here so any help is much appreciated.

A classmate of mine got her Pennsylvania license with the Medical Board (MD) initially after graduation. She was eventually hired by a DO family practice and had to then apply for the Osteopathic Board. It didn't take too long for either to be approved so perhaps you want to wait. If $$ is not an issue, I would apply for both so that in an interview you can say that you are licensed already by both boards. I applied to only the MD board as well, but ended up being hired by an MD hospital so didn't have to worry about the DO board. So it can go either way depending on where you end up.

With regard to bordering states, like NJ and DE. If you have any plans of working there, NJ takes forever (2-3 months), so I would apply ahead of time just in case. I know it can get expensive, but it is tax deductible at the end of the year.

A classmate of mine got her Pennsylvania license with the Medical Board (MD) initially after graduation. She was eventually hired by a DO family practice and had to then apply for the Osteopathic Board. It didn't take too long for either to be approved so perhaps you want to wait. If $$ is not an issue, I would apply for both so that in an interview you can say that you are licensed already by both boards. I applied to only the MD board as well, but ended up being hired by an MD hospital so didn't have to worry about the DO board. So it can go either way depending on where you end up.

With regard to bordering states, like NJ and DE. If you have any plans of working there, NJ takes forever (2-3 months), so I would apply ahead of time just in case. I know it can get expensive, but it is tax deductible at the end of the year.

Tax deductible eh? Hmm very nice. Thanks for the info. Do you know if you or your friend ever had to do a self query from the National Practitioner Data Bank/Healthcare Integrity and Protection Data Bank? It's one of Pennsylvania's State License requirements but the process is a little confusing.

Regarding the self inquiry... Is not really that bad.. Fill out the npdb queery,( to get a case number) fill out the q

Historical queery, Down load the form, complete it, notarize it, send it. In about 2 weeks you'll get back your status from the data bank. Last time I looked, was 8 bucks.

Regarding the self inquiry... Is not really that bad.. Fill out the npdb queery,( to get a case number) fill out the q

Historical queery, Down load the form, complete it, notarize it, send it. In about 2 weeks you'll get back your status from the data bank. Last time I looked, was 8 bucks.

thanks rcdavis. When you first filled out that self query form , do you remember what occupation/field of licensure you put? There was an option for physician assistant but only let you choose allopathic or osteopathic. I didn't want to be forced to choose between these two so I emailed the website and they said to just choose "other" and then I specified just plain old "physician assistant." I am hoping this is ok because if it's not, it's just going to back up this license process more and more.

Archived