Nursing major turned PA??

haha so i've now transitioned from allnurses.com to physicianassistant forum. But Ok so I initially was a nursing major and was even starting a nursing program this fall but due to high priced private schools I initially declined! Which makes me want to now pursue my goal of becoming a Physician Assistant! so i have now switched my major to public health and Luckily I have took a majority of the major pre-reqs. my question is those of you who've had let see 1000+ hours of cna,tech,etc. experience by the age of 21 and has gotten accepted...were you all working during school? Im 20 and I feel so behind now that after 3 years of school and now switching my major.I plan to volunteer as much as possible this year as well as shadow PA's as well! any suggestions? feedback? I look forward to hearing from all 1,056 of you!! :)

You will have to forgive us its just stating you are a "Physician Assistant" in your profile is misleading probably moreso in an anonymous forum. We have had many trolls come on here from allnurses and SDN so we can be a bit territorial but we do welcome newcomers here! it is a great place to learn about an awesome profession. Having said that your profile still reads "Physician Assistant"

About your topic, are you choosing to become a PA because its too hard to become a RN? Why did you choose to become a PA? (BTW these are questions you will be asked to elaborate on during the application process so be prepared)

-Cheers

Joe

haha so i've now transitioned from allnurses.com to physicianassistant forum. But Ok so I initially was a nursing major and was even starting a nursing program this fall but due to high priced private schools I initially declined! Which makes me want to now pursue my goal of becoming a Physician Assistant! so i have now switched my major to public health and Luckily I have took a majority of the major pre-reqs. my question is those of you who've had let see 1000+ hours of cna,tech,etc. experience by the age of 21 and has gotten accepted...were you all working during school? Im 20 and I feel so behind now that after 3 years of school and now switching my major.I plan to volunteer as much as possible this year as well as shadow PA's as well! any suggestions? feedback? I look forward to hearing from all 1,056 of you!! :)

1. Have you priced PA school?

2. New goal or suppressed old goal that has had new life breathed into it?

3. 1000 hours is six months. Six months is a long coffee break. I'd probably hold off on feeling like you have the cat in the bag until you get about 10 times that (yes, about five years or so)(ps....in all honestly, I've got over 20 years working in medicine ranging from surgical suites to inpatient wards to the mean streets and I don't feel like I even begin to understand it all)

4. I am not yet a full time student, but I play one on TV...well, actually my program starts July 5. However, during my numerous conversations with students in the class ahead of me...none of them worked part time. The school I am attending (U of W/Medex) focuses on admitting people with prior experience..this year's matriculated class has an average over 12,500 hours of HCE (6.5 years) and not one person I have spoken to plans to work part time. Yes, it's that hard.

Archived