Ortho negotiations

Hello all, I am an Ortho PA with 3yrs experience.  I have been with my current employer/doc in a hospital owned practice the entire time.  I live in OK.  He is leaving soon for a privatve practice opportunity out of state.  He has asked that I go with him, however, I am not willing to move at this time. 

Our current compensation package includes a base with production bonus.  This is completely transparent, as I get my production numbers every month.  Bonus is paid out on a tier system and I usually max this out each quarter.  I am currently in negotiations with 1 of 2 prospective employers.  Current offer is:

Base 95K

Bonus 20% of net.  Net is cash receipts from clinic (office visits and injections) and OR assist less your direct expenses (licenses, malpractice insurance, cell phone, salary, benefits, continuing ED., etc.). The bonus is paid quarterly.  My production numbers will not be given to me, no transparency here.

PTO is low at 17days

My question is...does anyone that utilizes a production bonus structure have suggestions on negotiating this aspect of the offer?  Does the offer here seem fair?  I am unsure of how it would compare with my current employers bonus structure.  Any help would be great.

I know the Doc well and the job will be a good one, just want to make sure I am compensated what I currently get or better.  Thanks for the help.

This was the initial offer.  I have already expressed concern with the poor transparency.  He states that the policy is, "It is company policy that financial information is distributed to physicians only." 

This is not something that I will budge on.  I will discuss this more with the Doc soon and ensure that I have access to these at least annually.  They are waiting to here back from me with a counter offer right now.

He states that the policy is, "It is company policy that financial information is distributed to physicians only."

That sounds very shady to me. Not an acceptable answer. Its not that you're asking for the total earnings of the entire practice you're only asking for the part that you have a role in.

Archived