ATSU APA MS program

Mods its cool if you move this...I just felt it didnt quite belong in the "Pre-PA" Schools category...

Anyone else doing the APA MSPAS program right now? I start in June and want to touch base with those who have either begun the program or have graduated.

What should I expect as far as workload? How tough is the program?

Thanks y'alls!

Joe

I graduated from ATSU in 2009 after being a practicing PA in family medicine for 10 years prior to starting. I took the 2 year family med/EM route. It was challenging but you can also coast and do the minimum which I think some did but you’ll waste the opportunity to learn if you do. Count on spending time researching topics, interacting with other students, and learning and following the APA rules for writing research papers (you'll be doing re-writes if you don't). If you have questions ask the instructor or other students promptly. Don’t fall behind in assignments! If I can help me know.

I graduated from ATSU in 2009 after being a practicing PA in family medicine for 10 years prior to starting. I took the 2 year family med/EM route. It was challenging but you can also coast and do the minimum which I think some did but you’ll waste the opportunity to learn if you do. Count on spending time researching topics, interacting with other students, and learning and following the APA rules for writing research papers (you'll be doing re-writes if you don't). If you have questions ask the instructor or other students promptly. Don’t fall behind in assignments! If I can help me know.

Thanks sbellin! right on! I am actually really excited. I welcome the challenge and plan on making the most out of it.Do we get to do a thesis?

I...wasn't trying to "kill" you....I was serious. does the program consist of writing a thesis?

did i err in asking somehow?

Thank you my friend....I needed that good laugh. Good question though...is there any PA master's program that doesn't require a thesis???

Not a thesis paper such as I think your thinking... I think. When I went through you're writing a research paper with references every 1 - 2 weeks; I recall one class I think gave us 8 weeks but that was also a longer paper. You post your paper on-line for classmates to read and they are your primary critic (some can be quite harsh). I was always nervous about what others would say about my posting but found it less helpful when they just said they agreed and it looked good.

Marilyn, My classmate who went through St. Francis concurrent with our prog didnt have a thesis is why I asked. Also the post graduate PA MS' (according to ppl I have talked too) were discounted as "Master's Degree Lite" I plan on giving this my all though like everything i do...

sbellin, I'm more freaked out about having peer-review vs a professor...a professor can see you as a neophyte and might be more forgiving. If a peer who is either a) an overachiever, b) a hateful d-bag or c) a hateful d-bag overachiever, reviews your work you might be screwed. LOL I guess I better get to know my classmates real well!

I think the peer review would be way harsh over an instructor. I remember an instructor telling me once that the first paper gets hit the hardest, by the time she reaches the last one she accepts almost anything. I bet St. Francis has an astronomical amt of apps...

Marilyn, My classmate who went through St. Francis concurrent with our prog didnt have a thesis is why I asked. Also the post graduate PA MS' (according to ppl I have talked too) were discounted as "Master's Degree Lite" I plan on giving this my all though like everything i do...

sbellin, I'm more freaked out about having peer-review vs a professor...a professor can see you as a neophyte and might be more forgiving. If a peer who is either a) an overachiever, b) a hateful d-bag or c) a hateful d-bag overachiever, reviews your work you might be screwed. LOL I guess I better get to know my classmates real well![/quote

Always have foundation to your critique and chase it with some praise. What you sow you may reap. Good luck.

Archived