Primary care job offer

Small family med practice within larger organization.

contract: Yearly

Compensation:  80K if I produce Median to 60% percentile for wRVUs performed based on MGMA national  data. calculated and paid on a yearly basis.  If less than median, i get penalized per wRVU under median, if over 60%, I get extra compensation.  They said that it basically won't matter for my first year and that I'll just get 80K since I'll be training and such.

Hours: 9 half days per week and 1 half day of admin time.

work: initially I'll work with different docs in the practice to learn the ropes, then i'll see more days pt with the ultimate goal of building up my own panel.  No call or weekends.  typically less than 20 pts per day.

PTO: 30 days + 8 holidays

CME: contract mentions time and money for cme, but no details, so I need to clarify this

insurance: medical insurance plan through company which will equal about 6K per year for spouse and I. starts the first day.  It's a great plan, but 6k is a lot!  vision, dental, life, etc offered as well

retirement: 403b with 50% matching up to 6%, also 457

malpractice: 1 million with tail

Here is the possible deal breaker for me:

non-compete: 15 miles and 2 years for primary care. I'll have a lawyer friend look at the fine details.  This isn't a big deal for me unless the practice turns out to suck, BUT I hate being limited and stuck like that.

Anything else I'm missing??

how should i approach the topic of getting the non-compete removed from the contract.

80K should be a floor, even though it's a pretty low floor.  Skip the penalties for <60% productivity and skip the non-compete, and it would be a decent offer.

It's a penalty for less than median...i'll have to see if they'll provide the MGMA data since it's behind a paywall.

Archived