How competitive am I this cycle 2016

Okay so I am applying this cycle and I wanted to get other peoples thoughts on how competitive I will be..

Major: BS in Microbiology

Cumulative GPA: 3.67

Science GPA: 3.65

GRE: Math: 147   Verbal: 151   Writing 4.5 

Letter of recommendation: 5 total; three from PAs (Internal medicine, CT surgery, and Orthopedic surgery) One from an emergency medicine MD, and one from a science professor

Healthcare experience: 500 hrs as a emergency medical scribe, volunteer American Cancer Society 

Patient care experience: 70 hrs international medical volunteer in Belize, 90hrs as a habitation tech, volunteer in a hospital 45 hrs, I have a full-time job set-up as a endoscopic tech once I graduate in two weeks but right now only have like 30 hours from this.

Over 350 hours of volunteering experience in non-healthcare settings  

Shadowing a PA in CT surgery 25 hrs and a PA in internal medicine for 20 hrs 

Agreed. The only thing that looks odd to me is having three letters all from PAs. Some programs might require other people, like a  clinical supervisor or employer. You might not want to use all 5 slots unless you know you aren't applying anywhere with conflicting evaluator policies.

Caspa only allows the submission of 3 letter so choose wisely because once they are chosen and submitted you cannot change your mind. I had 4 letters and realized this after 3 were in and the 4th was left out even though I probably would have chosen it over another. Definitely use one PA and your professor and pick any for the last. Lack of experience is your biggest negative but overall you have a solid application so just keep shadowing and apply broadly!

Caspa only allows the submission of 3 letter so choose wisely because once they are chosen and submitted you cannot change your mind. I had 4 letters and realized this after 3 were in and the 4th was left out even though I probably would have chosen it over another. Definitely use one PA and your professor and pick any for the last. Lack of experience is your biggest negative but overall you have a solid application so just keep shadowing and apply broadly!

CASPA now accepts up to 5 letters (in order to accommodate more of the programs that are very specific in the sources for letters).  

It still probably makes sense to prioritize and get your 3 strongest in first.  

NOTE:  There are quite a few changes in CASPA with this year's version (many designed to allow programs to eliminate their supplementals) - if you are reviewing older posts on this forum, please don't rely on them for definitive answers on how CASPA CURRENTLY works.  Read (and RE-READ!) the posted FAQ on the CASPA pages!  And/or ask the CASPA staff.  None of us here will intentionally steer you wrong, but if we're no longer in the applicant pool, how it worked for us is not necessarily how it works today.  

Archived