PAs and Religion

Wow, tough subject.

I have recently been following the clerk who won't issue gay marriage licenses even with a judge's order. My take - she is a civil servant - an employee of a municipality. If she cannot administer the requirements of her job due to a personal belief - hasta la vista. Go find a different job.

In medicine - if you are in private practice and can pick and choose what you do - go for it - always give the patient an option to go somewhere else. BUT, don't degrade them or tell them you will pray for them or whatever - just say it is not a practice you engage in and move on.

My mom worked for a dentist eons ago who ministered to her on the job about NOT leaving my SOB of a drunk abusive biological father - he thought she should stay and be a good wife….. Whatever dude. We got the hell out, thank you - both from this dentist and the jerk of a father.

I work for a Catholic corporate medicine behemoth yet their docs prescribe OCPs and counsel on birth control, etc. One doc in one clinic WILL not. They make him give the patient an option to see someone else. So, it works - for now.

My personal take is that I will never like/condone/be enthusiastic about stuff my patients do - smoke dope, kick their dog, lie at work, etc - but I am there to provide them with a listening ear and an opportunity for medical treatment. How many patients have refused to stop smoking or eating fried food or won't take the asa and lipitor? I don't dismiss them or hate them. They make choices.

I was taken aback by a Mom who called the 700 Club and donated money regarding her daughter's chronic sinusitis rather than following my referral plan for an ENT. 

I agree with the separation of church and stethoscope. I am a scientist and trained in medicine. I offer you my skills.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived