Programs that require high amount of HCE

I did not succeed in getting even an interview by any of the schools I applied to last year. Most schools told me that my GPA was not sufficient for their program. 

I have a low GPA (3.00). Although I have 7000+ experience hours as a CNA, 100+ PA shadowing hours, 500+ community services hours, and months of medical internship abroad. GRE score of 295. Currently, I am retaking a few courses that I received C's in and am getting A's. 

Are there any schools out there that have a little more forgiveness on low GPAs with high HCE hours?

Any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated! 

That should help. Retake any pre-reqs where you didn't get an A or B. Especially science courses!!! Crunch the numbers and see how many classes you need to take or retake to get AT LEAST a 3.5 GPA. Try to show an upward trend. Also apply to schools that value the last 60 or so credits you've earned. Try Stanford, Medex and I'm sure there are a few more.

If you haven't already, have someone both knowledgeable and impartial review your personal statement.

Your GPA is an easy out to dismiss you as a candidate if you don't come across strong in other areas. Remember, it's you as a total package. You have to meet minimums, but you really need to exceed expectations and stand out in some way from the multitude of other applicants. I had barely a 3.0 cGPA, but received multiple interviews & multiple acceptances, so clearly that's not the only factor for you. As has been recommended (& I agree), do your retakes with As, show a distinct upward trend (but you would likely have to do the equivalent of another bachelors to raise a 3.0 to a 3.5; not very realistic), get >300 on your GRE, but keep in mind that those are often just numbers used to cull the pool of applicants -- your personal statement is what sells YOU.

Also, look at the schools where you are applying and their expectations -- not their minimums, but the averages & ranges for their recent cohorts. Make sure you aren't applying only to schools where you aren't in those ranges with your stats.

You will have trouble with a low GPA; unless you are that 1 in 1000 student with an unusally compelling narrative, then you need to spend time boosting that GPA before applying.

The bottom line is this: GPA and standardized testing are the only measures of performance an ADCOM has by which to predict how well you will handle, not only content, but the rate at which that content is delivered.  It is reasonable to assume that a low undergrad GPA translates into a low graduate GPA as well, the problem here being that you will be expeted to treat patients upon completion; i.e., a philosphy masters program might be very forgiving of a poor undergrad GPA because there is no real consequence if they let you in and you perform poorly.  If a PA school lets you in and you perform poorly, you will be dismissed becasue of the liability, which means the school effectively looses a seat.  Not a good business model, and not good for the treatment of future patients.

Get that GPA up, HCE hours are only one part of the application.

Archived