Chances?

Guest fbm

Hi, I was just wondering if you guys think I would be able to get in the UF PA program. I have a 4.0 GPA, 1200+ GRE score, but the patient care..i just started volunteering at a hospital by my house in the ER. I don't know if that counts as direct patient care for UF? I should have about 100 hours by the end of next semester, and I am going to be shadowing a PA in the summer but thats shadowing not patient care. Would my lack of hours hurt me in the admission process?

Thanks for the help.

• 1 month later...
Guest srbpa05

You should call the program and ask if the volunteer work would count as patient care hours or not. Most PA schools like a good amount of hands on experience, the more the better - get as much as possible. Your grades and GRE are good, so that will hep.

Guest mejevo22

On their website it says a minimum of 2000 hours is required or very close to it. I've been accepted to their program and am going there this summer but to give you some perspective my hours have not come from a job as a nurse or anything as I have no professional licenses or certifications beside CPR but I did have an internship (paid) at a rehab facility, PT, OT, etc and was able to help where ever needed like transport and assisting with therapy to the extent that I could (1800+ hours). As well as I was a volunteer at Mayo Clinic, and a few other health care facilities as well as shadowing 3 different PA's ( the remaining hours and more). I think they are looking for you to be exposed enough to the medical setting and jobs so that you know what your getting into etc and that you will be committed. They understand not everyone can be a nurse etc but I think if your looking for ideas EMT programs aren't too long, several months maybe though not sure or a CNA which is a few months certification. Hope that helps a little oh and as far as gpa and test scores, yours were both higher than mine. And they did comment in the interview about the difficult classes that I took in addition to the basic pre-reqs (biochem, genetic, mocell, etc) But then again this process seems so random at times on what each school sees as important and who they grant interviews to. But I also wouldn't want to be lacking one of the basic requirements like the hours so that you don't get the interview because of that alone, they only interview around 100-120 people for 60 spots from 1000+ applications received, so do whatever you can to get the hours. Good luck!

• 1 month later...
Guest ontheway2pa

A recommendation I would make is to take as many interviews as you can get and afford before you get interviewed at UF. I took a few extra interviews before my UF interview (even after I had been accepted at my number 2 choice) just for the extra practice. I feel it really helped me refine and polish my answers to the standard questions you get asked at every interview, as well as let me go in a little more relaxed. Also, I agree with LoRez that the hands on experience is important, but don't wait to long. Don't forget some classes have to be taken within a certain number of years of admission and your GRE scores are only good for 5 years as well. Good luck.

• 3 years later...

You could also join a club at school if you have time. Also, if you have a lot of time on your hands you can always volunteer at a non health care field too such as animal shelter because that is on the application. That way it shows other stuff since you lack a little in health care experience. But I definitely agree that you should become a CNA, ER scribe, or something

• 4 weeks later...

Archived