Help! Waiting for Provisional Certificate to Prescribe

I'll keep this short. I'm a new grad PA in Ohio who is starting work with a surgical team at a big hospital next Tuesday, April 14. I have my certificate to practice, but due to some confusion, my paperwork for the provisional certificate to prescribe has not yet been issued. I'm wondering if anyone has been in this situation before and how it affected their work. Thanks for any insight. 

Then I'm thinking you can't prescribe. You could check the OSMB website, it may say that you do have privileges and waiting for the certificate might be just a formality. Be upfront with your employer about the situation so they are not caught surprised. And don't risk everything you've worked for. My guess is that there will be an orientation period, OSMB can't be that far behind?

Every PA and MD is aware of how dysfunctional the licensing process can be. I have had two errors by the Dept of Health and have not been practicing very long. I am sure they will understand. Mention it ASAP. It could be a moot point as they will probably want you to orient, shadow, and present patients for a period of time. They could always have someone supervising you prescribe.

Thank you all for your input. I messaged the PA I will be working with and my primary supervising physician is also aware. I am waiting to hear back from the PA to see how it will affect my work. I realize I will likely not be able to prescribe, but my concern is really for my team. I don't want to inconvenience them. I do have to go through a 90 day orientation phase, but I'm not sure exactly what that entails. Again, I appreciate all of your help! 

Archived