Emergency Medicine and Urgent Care Offers

Hello PAs!

I am a new grad and in the job search for a position in Emergency or Urgent Care. I received 2 offers that I would really appreciate anyone's advice on.

Offer 1: Emergency Medicine at a Hospital

-Fast Track ONLY but you can go back and forth between Peds Emergency (Main ED is handled by attendings and residents)

-$43/hr

- 3-12s overnight and they are Non-Union so you clock in at your scheduled time and clock out at scheduled time but you are allowed overtime and additional shifts.

-very willing to train and will have supervision until I am comfortable being alone

-26 days PTO (approx 8 1/2 wks): this includes sick days, holidays, and vacation time

-3 days and $300 towards CME

-401k/403b

-Medical, Dental, and Malpractice covered

-NO night differential, or holiday differential, or weekend differential

They do not reimburse for license, DEA, NCCPA, ACLS, or BLS but when it is time to renew they pay

***I really liked this place and the people there however at the rate of $43/hr for 36hrs a week = 80k which is low for Emergency according to AAPA. If I did 4-12s a week or even 4-12s one week and 3-12s the next week then I would make 90k which is more reasonable and helpful in terms of my loans*

Offer 2: Private Urgent Care clinic - 6 locations and opening a new one which I would be in charge of

-Full time 40hr/wk position where there would be a medical assistant, the office manager, and myself

-$45/hr with overtime if needed

-2 weeks vacation which includes both sick and vacation days.

-No holidays except Christmas, New Years, and Thanksgiving (office closed)

-No CME benefits

-401k/403b

-"Decent" health and dental (the director of operations stated that he doesn't get his healthcare through the job but he "heard" that what they offer is better than last year)

-Malpractice covered

***I like this place as well, however, the new location opens Monday so I would only be in clinic a couple of hours until the patient volume picked up and in the meantime I would float to do their House calls with another doctor, visit the nursing home, and do some primary care clinic hours.*** (all of this would technically be shadowing because I don't have my license yet)

***I am also worried about the training as he didnt really state if I was going to have a supervising physician on site because he kept asking me how comfortable I was with seeing patients alone. I told him that made me nervous but he assured me that I could always contact a supervising Physician by phone***

Helllllp!!!!

don't work solo as a new grad (job #2).

300 for cme is very low(job #1). most places pay 1500-2500...

14 twelves/mo is a fairly common work schedule for em and 90k would be ok for that, although most places pay a night differential. I do full time nighst and get 5/hr at one place and 10/hr at another.

the pto is great at job #1.

given those 2 choices I would definitely do job #1 given the possible training available.

Archived