ECG help...

So, just learned about how to read ECGs and distinguishing by ischemia, infarction and injury---however on every example we are given its always Posterior,Inferior, anteroseptal MI....I assume that MI is just myo infarction and not Myo. injury or Myo. ischemia.

Even when the rules are met for ischemia or injury, it's still being labeled as MI.....is that accurate or when it's a non infarction are we supposed to write injury or ischemia out---or leave it as MI???

Trying to get some outside clarification.

Rule #1 Never trust the machine's read!

all kidding aside

To me the read as MI is meant to flag the interpreting provider

If you are asking how you should intepret it then just follow the criteria you mentioned

The ECG machine will try to be specific about territory for injury/infarct but it will still read st segment deviations as abnormal and label them as MI regardless of ischemic vs infarct, transmural vs subendocardial etc.

Please forgive me as I am into a few ounces of bourbon and enjoying the effects but I love cardiac work in a pre hospital setting.

The first question that comes to mind is "are you asking about infarcs in an emergent setting or in a more post event setting? In an emergent setting, I see very little difference between infarction, (which is deprivation of oxygen to tissue) to injury (which is caused by deprivation of oxygen to tissue) or ischemia (which is caused by deprivation of oxygen to tissue). Ischemia leads to infarct which leads to injury. You can reverse ischemia, reduce injury by treating infarct.

12 lead ECG's are about 40% accurate for detecting MI's...that is because they do a GREAT job at sniffing out ST elevation MI's but have a vast number of mimicers that will hide a NON ST elevation MI (STEMI). Whenever I catch a fellow paramedic using the computer to diagnose their 12 lead for them, I chastise them once we have a private moment. When I see a higher level provider using the computer to diagnose, I dismiss the person as an incompetent idiot. (albeit, sometimes unfairly so)I do not speak to them about it, as I know my place in food chain but my point is LEARN TO READ 12 LEADS ON YOUR OWN.

In the world of Reciprocal changes think of the heart in it's true 3 dimensional version. The leads are placed on an anterior aspect so there are angles of the heart that it reads through what is basically resembling a mirror. We know that in the case of acute ischemia we have ST elevation in the affected leads. If you imagine viewing that through a mirror then you could imagine how you may actually see that ST elevation as ST depression...the reciprocal change. So in your example of a posterior MI, you should expect to see ST depression in the V leads..as they are the anterior leads of the heart...the reciprocal of the posterior. So when you see elevation in some leads, with depression in leads that examine the mirrored side of the heart, it helps confirm what you already suspect.

If you are discussing post MI management in an ICU or clinic setting...I have no idea.

Enjoy!

Archived