Changing Careers - PA

Received my B.A. in Psych back in 2010.  I have always been interested in the health field and after being denied entrance to the Athletic Training program my freshman year, I changed major's and pursued something that I could use towards "any" career.  My mother has always tried to push me toward a Nursing/PA degree but being as young as I was at the time, I thought my career path was better and lets just say, I wish I had listened to her.

Here I am, 5 years later, as an admin, and I want a major career change and I want to pursue something I have always wanted but I need help as to how to get there.  I already have a Bachelors degree but was not a focused student (my GPA is pretty ugly).  How can I change my career/life around and become a PA without having to start all over and get yet another bachelors degree?  I want real, honest answers as to how to approach this.

Retake my pre-reqs to get the desired grades necessary to enter the program?

Get an associates in Nursing or a Certified Medical assistant so I can get the on-hands patient care?

Looking for how others approached this situation.

I appreciate all of your help!

All of the above. It will be s marathon, not a sprint. You must pull your cGPA, sGPA and prerequisite GPA to AT LEAST a 3.0. This may take years. I also recommend getting a CNA, phlebotomy or EMT cert.

It may sound daunting, but it can be done. Everything you do, every person you meet must be focused towards your end goal. If you need to raise your GPA a lot, you might as well get another bachelors.

As for me, I lacked focus and direction in undergrad. It took me 5 years, 3000 hours, 90 some credits, another bachelors, great references etc... To even apply. Guess what, I had a stronger application than I thought. I have 4 interviews, am wait listed for several interviews (at top 10 schools) and I have several acceptances this cycle.

I think my biggest piece of advice is it is a journey not a sprint. If you can accept that, this may be a good career choice for you. If not, I suggest RT or RN and working that for a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived