Remove classes/grades from transcript?

I'm currently prepping for the new CASPA cycle to open in April and realized my community college transcript has 3 grades on it that could be very detrimental to my application.

In high school I took 3 classes (Med Term, Anatomy & Physiology I & II) at my community college (around 2005 or 2006). I recieved an A in all those classes. After I got my bachelors, I decided to take 3 art classes for fun in 2012. Photography, Drawing and Art History. I received two Cs and one incomplete since I wasn't taking the classes seriously. They weren't offered on a Pass/Fail option.

Now in 2015, I'm taking several prereq science classes (including retaking the courses I took in high school) and will need to submit my community college transcript to CASPA. As of now, my sGPA is a 4.0 while my overall is a 2.4.

Should I attempt to get those art classes removed/expunged from my transcript or will they not matter?

Your science courses will mean much more to adcoms than art classes in general. Although some may still hold those grades against you to some degree. I have never heard of a university allowing a student (past or present) to remove courses from their transcript. If yours will, thats great. Otherwise, I would just plan on focusing on your strengths and better grades in science pre-reqs. I received a C and D in Org Chem I & II, and I was still accepted to multiple competitive highly respected programs. Your science GPA is excellent, but your overall is shy of many programs minimum and not quite competitive...yet. Keep working hard in your courses and use any electives (like art, spanish, etc) to knock out of the park. Doing well in science is most important, but since you need to raise your GPA by quite a bit, don't neglect your other courses. An A in a 3 credit art class counts the same towards your overall GPA as an A in a 3 credit Biochemistry course.

I should have clarified that my GPA from my 4 yr bachelor is a 3.45 and my science GPA is a 3.47. Taking classes at community was something I only did in high school and for fun after graduating with my B.S. I was never working towards a degree at community. Now I'm taking the prereqs because they're greatly cheaper and I'm paying out of pocket.

I posted this in the wrong section. Sorry.

It would be the equivalent of lying on your application. Art classes won't matter. I had an F in health class from freshman year and no one said a word. (yes, health class :)). 

Thanks for the replies.

I talked to an advisor who told me the school offers "academic amnesty" but it has to be 5 years after the course was taken and it still doesn't remove the grade, the grade simply isn't included in GPA calculation.

I'm not going to worry about it. I need to focus on nothing less than a 4.0 in these remaining 9 units.

• 4 weeks later...

Regardless of the individual community college policy regarding "academic amnesty", the CASPA doesn't do that. You are required to input all of your courses into the application, and CASPA calculates your GPA. If you are taking your current courses at the same school as the courses you took in high school, I don't see how you could not include them. Potentially, if it's a different school, you could not include that school in your application at all, but that's a slippery slope. Since it was high school, I could see leaving them out, saying they were just extracurricular activities, but as another poster said, it could be considered lying on your application. Lying is not a good idea as you can be expelled for it. Good luck

Archived