Friendly States

Hi there

not sure if this question has been asked before but are there any states that are more lenient towards cGPA <3.0 ? or does it depend on the individual schools?. After this spring semester i will be able to bring my cGPA up to 2.99 provided i get all As (which i am working my butt off for). Also, should i apply to schools that require min 3.0 or do you think that 0.01 difference will be an automatic rejection? :'( 

Concur with radioman's comment.  

Also, my personal experience is that, for most, if they specify >3.0, they mean >3.0, not 2.9-anything.  And with as many applications as are being received, even the programs that have lower minimum GPA requirements, or those that say >3.0 recommended, give minimal consideration to anything less.  e.g., the cumulative undergrad GPA on my application last year per CASPA was 2.94.  I did get a couple of interviews (on the basis of my other stats & experience).  However, when I followed up with some of the schools that sent me prompt rejection letters, they explicitly said it was because my cumulative undergrad GPA wasn't over 3.0, even though that was only a "recommended" minimum per their program requirements.  When they have as many applicants as they do (thousands!), they have to start somewhere to reduce the pool to those they want to interview, and, in my opinion, it appears that many programs administratively eliminate applicants on GPA (or HCE) before it will even get to the AdComm for consideration of all the other attributes you may have.  Anyway, I took more post bacc coursework (in relevant courses!) and brought my cumulative undergrad GPA up to 3.02.  This year I received more than a dozen interview invitations and I've been accepted at multiple schools.  

This may not be relevant for you, but a few schools only look at undergrad (bachelor + post-bacc) GPA.  If you attend an information session at UTSW in Dallas, they'll tell you right up front, they screen on undergrad GPA and do not consider any graduate level work.  There are a couple of different websites where you can get an overview of the almost 200 programs across the US, but you'll need to check the programs' information specifically for most up-to-date and accurate requirements.  They can, and do, change their requirements from year to year; some announce changes a year in advance, but some make changes and they are effective with that year's cycle.  

Archived