First Draft! Please revise!!!!!

It was a cold, wintry day, just before Christmas, when the 52 year old male patient arrived with the complaint of chest pain. After quickly reviewing the patients EKG, per chest pain protocol, it did not appear that there were any emergent cardiac issues. The patient explained that he had experienced intermittent chest pain in the center of his chest for one week, with radiation down his right arm, so what were we missing? The doctor I was assigned to, as his Emergency Medicine scribe, was ordering routine labs on the patient at the work center, when we heard the attending nurse in the patient’s room shout “STEMI!” (ST elevated myocardial infarction – heart attack). Documenting the numerous verbal commands from the ED doctor and cardiologist for chest compressions, cardiac medications, defibrillation, and infusions, I witnessed the wonders of medicine at its finest, and felt that my role in the trauma room had made a difference that day. The next few minutes of brisk, authoritative orders reinforced my career choice to be a physician assistant.

​In addition to my experience as a scribe, I have had the opportunity to take part in a fulfilling internship at a local cardiopulmonary rehabilitation center. I have developed exercise prescriptions, performed patient evaluations, and monitored vitals during exercise, to a number of patients suffering from cardiovascular and pulmonary related diseases. After being a firsthand witness to patients suffering from terminal disease, I can passionately say that I aspire to be a physician assistant (PA) who genuinely cares for my patients, while providing effective medical attention. I have gained a greater understanding of the importance of the physician/patient relationship and how it can and does benefit wellness. My goal is to become a PA whose patients know my care for them and can instill trust in my practice as a physician assistant.

​I believe that motivation, hard work, and dedication is key to success in being a physician assistant. Being the eldest of four children in a divorced family, financial constraints have been evident to me my entire life. My parents have instilled in me the responsibilities that one needs to sustain to facilitate their dreams, goals, and ambitions, and the value of a strong work ethic. In turn, I commit myself to fully achieve my goals even when they are challenging. This extends to my aspiration to be a physician assistant. I feel that as an intellectually and emotionally capable individual, I have a calling to devote myself to helping others. As a physician assistant, my excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work both independently and as part of a team will result in outstanding patient-centered care.

​I am confident that my essential groundwork that I have completed through my studies and experiences has prepared me to enter a graduate physician assistant program. I have gained an extensive academic foundation in Exercise Science, broad clinical knowledge experience as an Emergency Medicine Scribe, and direct patient care exposure from being a student intern at a cardiopulmonary rehabilitation center. I am positive that my upbringing and diverse exposure has prepared me to be a distinguished student in the physician assistant program.

The male patient suffered a severe heart attack while in the ED on that cold wintry day and was transferred to the cardiac catheterization lab. It was this particular experience that I began to see how immersive and rewarding the field of medicine was. Although he will never know how he impacted my life, I will never forget that night in the ED and will use that experience to inspire me through the rigors of physician assistant studies.

Archived