Deciding between Programs

Just based on a cursory glance of their websites...

Grand Valley is almost 20 years old (fully accredited) and quite a bit less expensive. Excellent 98% first-time PANCE rate.

Eastern MI is brand new (provisionally accredited) and quite a bit more expensive. No PANCE history to report on (new school). But it's smaller (30 seats, compared to 48 (still not bad) at GV) and shorter (24 mo rather than 28). And they use systems-based learning (a plus in my book). (Unclear whether GV does or not.)

Both require 500 hours HCE. Both claim to use case-based and team learning.

You've gotta go on gut feeling (from your interview experience) to some extent. But just based upon what I see on paper, I'd go Grand Valley, hands down. But you ought to post this to the Grand Valley and Eastern MI school threads to get some more informed current-student opinion. Ask about clinical rotation location and quality.

Good luck!

Your post has reminded me that I was in a very similar situation to you.  Ironically, I chose the new program over a 20-year-old program with a 100% 12-year PANCE average.  (In my case, many of the resources, faculty, and staff from the established program moved to a large medical center to establish a wonderful new program, leaving the older program with a lot of new faculty and administrators amidst an effort to double class size from 40 to 80 the year I was to attend.)  In other words, there are reasons to choose the underdog. But barring extraordinary idiosyncrasies, Grand Valley sounds like a great program.  

Did you make a decision yet? I have a friend that just graduated from GVSU and raves about it all the time. I have heard nothing but good things when talking to past graduates. That was actually my top school I wanted to go to when I applied last year but was not accepted, and now go to CMU. Another thing to consider is the availability of locations for clinical rotations. From what I understand EMU is somewhat limited by being a new program where GVSU has extensive options for locations and variety of positions.

HOPE THIS HELPS!

• 3 months later...

Hey Everyone! 

I am in a very similar situation regarding deciding between eastern and Arcadia in Pennsylvania. Arcadia has been accredited for years and has awesome PANCE scores but it will cost me 60,000 more to move out of state and go there. I am just wondering if it is worth it. It just makes me a little nervous that Eastern is brand new. If anyone has any feedback please let me know. 

Archived