Misdemeanor - affect on acceptance, licensing and jobs?

Guest foreverLaur

first off, she doesn't have to mention her name. hell, you can call for her if you want.

second, if she really wants to drag this out, advise her to 1) plead innocent and if they don't want to reduce it or drop it, 2) take it to a jury trial. the burden of proof is on the prosecutor who needs to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that she did what they claim she did. my public defender-turned-prosecutor friend has rarely seen a case where a court system wants to expend all that money on proving a case of stupidity.

of course, if she's found guilty, she has to pay all the fees and get a criminal record.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest foreverLaur

haha i agree. a kid in my dorm freshman year stole $11k from someone in an eBay auction and they didn't even want to take him to court because in the grand scheme of things... $11k wasn't even that much!! he admitted to it and it got dropped from a felony to a misdemeanor and he was forced to pay the $$ back, pay a fine, and do community service.

i'm really surprised this is even going to court with a judge. i'm really surprised the cop spent 1.5 hours with the two girls talking to them and looking through her book to find out what to charge them with. there has to be something better two cops can be doing.

another thing she has going for her is the prosecutor has to look a bit crooked for speaking with the other girls dad (a cop) and dropping EVERYTHING for her just because her cop daddy asked him to...

most of us have probably done something really minor and stupid that we never thought could turn into a criminal charge.... she just happened to be doing something silly at the wrong place at the wrong time and catch a cop on a bad day... the backup cop thought it was funny and just wanted to let them go home.

• 6 months later...
She has already spoken with the board of nursing and they said something as low as a 4th degree misdemeanor would not affect her licensing.

I assumed that it would be easier to get a nursing job with something like that since there is a need for RNs to fill RN jobs. Maybe I am wrong... I just figured she'd have an easier time getting an RN job than a PA job.

I realize you guys aren't on admission committees and can't give me a perfect answer. I'm just looking for thoughts and opinions of people who have been out in the field for a while.

I just find it surprising that someone would actually hold her out of her dream profession because she dragged a random orange cone back to where her other friend found it one night on a college campus (and at the point when she applies - probably 5+ years ago)

Obviously I have no idea - I'm just sharing my thoughts and opinions. If I had a clue, I wouldn't have posted on here looking for advice.

I'm entering this discussion kinda late, but maybe this person still needs advice.

I've known doctors who have been charged with misdemeanors and even felonies and they still have a license to practice medicine. I know one particular doctor, an anesthesiologist and several people have reported him to the medical board b/c of his bizarre behavior - it's very apparent he uses drugs. Get this, the medical board won't do anything unless someone actually WITNESSES him using drugs. Like he's actually going to use drugs with witnesses around!

There is NO WAY being charged with a 4th degree misdemeanor (whatever that is) is going to keep that person from getting into PA school. However, I still strongly advise her to get an attorney so she can get this expunged from her record if she's found guilty. I have a feeling she'll be found "not guilty" if she goes to court and gives a sob story about everything and how she's doing so well working fulltime and going to school, etc

• 2 years later...

I haven't seen a discussion for this particular so I will ask... would guilty of driving on expired drivers license and expired registration be considered a minor traffic violation? The citation type for both was listed as "misdemeanor traffic" and not as "civil traffic". Since this was 20 years ago, how much affect will it have on an application? Any adcom folks I particularly want to hear your opinions.

Archived