Ethical to Accept Two Offers of Acceptance?

I have been lucky enough to have been offered acceptance at two PA schools. One starts this January and the other in August. I have chosen to attend the one that begins in January. It is a fairly new school. I am wondering whether others feel it would be unethical to hold on to my seat at the school that begins in August for a few months, until I confirmed that this new school I will be attending is what I am hoping for. The thing is, since it is a newer school I will be attending, you never know what will happen and it would be worth it to me to pay the deposit and have a back-up plan in case things don't work out for whatever reason. Please let me know if others think this would be fair. I know it sucks to be wait-listed and not learn until a few months before matriculation so I feel for others out there. Thanks in advance.

• Administrator

It's fair and appropriate. That's what wait-lists and non-refundable deposits are all about.  I would suggest you give as much notice as possible to the second program, so that the special someone who gets 'your' seat there will have time to adapt, assuming things go OK at the first program.

Archived