Extended Review vs. Waitlist Status

Interviewed at my top choice PA program last week and was notified this week by admission that they are going to "extend the review" of my application and interview.  Was curious to hear other people's thoughts on how to interpret this, or if anyone has gone from extended review status to accepted or rejected and the timeline for that process.  We were informed that this is separate from the wait list, but no explanation was given as to what this status meant.  I may just be looking for some piece of mind here, but can anyone shed some light on this?  Would you think this status puts your consideration ahead of the wait list?

Thanks!

Some schools interview in waves and gradually fill their class from the various waves. If you were told you were in an extended review, it probably means that, though you weren't selected outright, the faculty thought you were good enough to hang on to long enough to be compared against the next set or two of applicants.

A wait-listed applicant sits in a queue while the program waits to to see if its other choices accept or decline their invitations. If you are in an extended review, you are probably still being considered for an offer ahead of the wait-listed people.

In summary, I think you are most likely better off than someone who was wait-listed outright.

Archived