Tattoos - Navy HSCP

Hey all,

In the Navy HSCP program for PA school, you have to go through the whole tattoo screening process, then once you're approved you're technically active-duty in the Navy.  But while you're in school, do you know if you're allowed to get any more tattoos (within regs) or is that not allowed?  

My recruiter back home was awesome and I could have sworn he mentioned something about this, but I can't remember.  My current recruiter by my school is notoriously unavailable and I couldn't find much on the web besides current regs and entry processing for MEPS.  We don't have to go through MEPS again before ODS do we, so will we even be screened for tattoos again?

I just know they specifically prohibit delayed entry personnel (which would be HPSP people, I assume) from getting tattoos while they're in school, so I was wondering if the same applied to HSCPers.

Random question, I know, but I was thinking about getting a very small tattoo on my foot, but I may not bother if it will present much of a hassle with admin.

Thanks everyone!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all,

In the Navy HSCP program for PA school, you have to go through the whole tattoo screening process, then once you're approved you're technically active-duty in the Navy.  But while you're in school, do you know if you're allowed to get any more tattoos (within regs) or is that not allowed?  

My recruiter back home was awesome and I could have sworn he mentioned something about this, but I can't remember.  My current recruiter by my school is notoriously unavailable and I couldn't find much on the web besides current regs and entry processing for MEPS.  We don't have to go through MEPS again before ODS do we, so will we even be screened for tattoos again?

I just know they specifically prohibit delayed entry personnel (which would be HPSP people, I assume) from getting tattoos while they're in school, so I was wondering if the same applied to HSCPers.

Random question, I know, but I was thinking about getting a very small tattoo on my foot, but I may not bother if it will present much of a hassle with admin.

Thanks everyone!

Be wise with this one.  Tatto identification is part of your service record which is kept by individual commands, and one of those forgotten regs which the Navy can use to screen you out if it is between you or someone else with all other aspects equal, or if the Navy decides to downsize for whatever reason.  When the DoD downsized operational forces in 2009-2010 due to restricted budgets and downdrawn operations in the middle east, this was a criterion that was used to oust some folks who otherwise had no official reason for the Navy/Marines to let them go.  My adivce, keep away from tattoos...the tide of favor has turned against tatts just within the last decade, and it is in your best interest to remain squeaky clean - the age of unlimited waivers is over as we are no longer sending droves of troops to OIF/OEF.

Archived