New Job Contract help

Hey Everyone,

I am a relatively new grad transitioning from my current job after only a few months to orthopedic surgery in Los Angeles. I have several more questions to ask the employer such as call schedule/flexibility, patient load, holiday staffing, etc. but my main concern after first reading the contract is malpractice coverage:

$105,000 annually

Health Insurance

Malpractice Insurance - claims made, not covering tail

2wks PTO...which includes personal time/sick days

No CME allowance

At will termination

Private practice with credentialing at 3 area hospitals. 

I feel the salary is good, and I can stomach the vacation time, however I'm going to ask about 3 weeks if it is to include sick days and at least $500 CME. My MAIN concern is not providing tail coverage, which is a huge problem if I leave for whatever reason. Estimates are 150-300% of premium and if a P3 premium is approx $7,000, I don't feel like footing the bill. Anyone have strategies to negotiate this? I will be asking for his certificate of coverage to see how he is structuring me into liability coverage, but I feel like I might try to have him reimburse me for my personal occurrence coverage through the AAPA endorsed insurance. Thoughts?

WOOOOOOOOOOhhhhhhhhhhh

2 weeks PTO

NO CME (do they have any idea that we need to get CME for our license?)

Honestly this is a practice that is dangling a high salary in front of you hoping you will bite, with likely horrible conditions to follow - you will fry/burn out, with only 2 weeks off a year

CME for most should bee 2k+ and a week

PTO - 3 weeks min

Vacation/holiday/sick in addition to this

somewhere around 40 days off a year is reasonable, and I have had as many as 60

Be VERY careful with the dangling carrot.....

• 3 weeks later...

I see a few things that concern me. Ventana brings up the CME $ / days. Excellent point about licensure requirements. Another pesky thing that really can create an issue is hospital privileges. Those applications cost hundreds of dollars and sometimes more if you apply for certain surgery privileges. Who is footing that bill? Right now, it sounds like you. What about the $700 dea application if you plan on prescribing?

Finally, if you're at will, it really doesn't feel like a contract. You're just an employee at that point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archived