Feeling like this might be the end of my pa journey, please help

Hi guys, 

I was really wondering if you could help me. I'm so desperate, I don't even know where to turn. I wish I had roommates to talk to or even friends here that would just get it, but I don't anymore. You see, I entered my first year of UG in 09. I mean, I had dreams, I knew what I wanted and how I was gonna get there. But the summer going into my second year, I got in a pretty bad car accident, one that left me home for 3 years. By this time, everyone graduated. I even went back weeks after my accident and fronted to everyone like i could walk in a straight line with no help, I was wrong, came out with terrible grades and that's when I knew, girl, you have got to put your health before your career, wtf is wrong with you. So fast forward to Sept. 2014, here I am, back at school feeling as alienated and lonely as ever. I am still in massive pain bc my family couldn't afford physio. My grades aren't stellar, I'm just trying to get out of here you guys, can I be honest? This place just makes me so .. I don't know anymore. I've been reading forums today, you know, the ones that scream LOW GPA WILL I GET IN. And it looks like a no for me. I don't know where else to turn and what else to do. All i know is that i am not doing my undergrad again. I had hopes that once I graduate this year, I would go back home and kill those prereqs then apply, hopefully get accepted to my dream school but i'm just feeling super down and out because these forums are telling me "no, you won't." I know for a fact my gpa wont be great, but what if they see my prereqs next year are the opposite. Can someone please offer a glimmer of hope, anything, I don't know who else to ask or where to turn, I'm literally alone in this city 

Talk to your advisor! Take some easy classes for your GPA if you can. Research schools that have lower minimum GPAs. Take your time and ace the GRE. Get awesome volunteer and HCE. And remember that you are valuable and special and growing from your struggles every day. Start turning your adversity into your personal essay and remind yourself of the good things that don't depend on PA school. I know for high achievers that's hard but it's healthy too. Sending all the good thoughts and hope your way.

Talk to your advisor! Take some easy classes for your GPA if you can. Research schools that have lower minimum GPAs. Take your time and ace the GRE. Get awesome volunteer and HCE. And remember that you are valuable and special and growing from your struggles every day. Start turning your adversity into your personal essay and remind yourself of the good things that don't depend on PA school. I know for high achievers that's hard but it's healthy too. Sending all the good thoughts and hope your way.

thank you so much, this put a smile on my face. but since i'm in my last year, all my courses are required for graduation and they are not ones I am particularly interested in .. the ecology/organismal physiology type courses. Do you still think it's possible... Also I go to a canadian school, I plan on moving to the states (used to live in VA) so these people don't know jack about PA schools, this is why I came here, to talk to you guys. 

The first thing you need to do is relax and slow down. For me getting into PA school is about the journey of getting your experiences, classes, and contacts in order; then the application process. I know you want to be a PA ASAP, but it will be stressful, in addition to having a high propensity of rejection if you rush this process. Get your UG degree if you can, take some CC classes to rebuild your confidence and maybe do part-time work or volunteer to get some experiences and contacts. It will be hard work and time consuming, but stay focus on your goals. Some days I would get off work and go volunteer, only to have about 2 hours left in the day before sleep and work again, this lasted a year and a half before I finally applied. 

Come up with a reasonable timeline and map out what you need to do each semester, then you can start checking things off. It will make you feel a lot better as well as put you on the right track. Good Luck.

The first thing you need to do is relax and slow down. For me getting into PA school is about the journey of getting your experiences, classes, and contacts in order; then the application process. I know you want to be a PA ASAP, but it will be stressful, in addition to having a high propensity of rejection if you rush this process. Get your UG degree if you can, take some CC classes to rebuild your confidence and maybe do part-time work or volunteer to get some experiences and contacts. It will be hard work and time consuming, but stay focus on your goals. Some days I would get off work and go volunteer, only to have about 2 hours left in the day before sleep and work again, this lasted a year and a half before I finally applied. 

Come up with a reasonable timeline and map out what you need to do each semester, then you can start checking things off. It will make you feel a lot better as well as put you on the right track. Good Luck.

THIS. This is the advice I needed!!!! I can't thank you enough. I feel like nobody else has to reply because i have everything I need now. Thank you bcao!!!!!

I think the other two people who have replied are on track.  I have a strong feeling that you are building some valuable experiences that will help you to empathize and relate to your patients.  This can be framed as an asset.  Don't give up hope.  Inevitably, part of your narrative during the application process will include the accident and the bad academic year.  My thoughts -- bad things happen to good, talented people all the time, and admissions committees will not judge you for this.  They will be more interested in how you are bouncing back.  In addition to what the people above recommend, part of this process might include non-medical self-improvement (i.e. yoga, campus-based counseling, investing in hobbies that make you a well-rounded person).  You've been through a lot, and have learned much about yourself.  There's hard work to do, but your goals are attainable.  

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys, 

I was really wondering if you could help me. I'm so desperate...

Take a breather!!  It sounds to me like you need proper physical therapy and pain management before you do anything else.  It's not going to help you in any way shape or form to try school while you're physcially incapacitated to whatever degree.  You must have yourself together before applying...if an adcom sniffs out that you are struggling, you will not get in, and that means wasted time and $$ in applying.  I know this is a hard pill to swallow, but if you are even reasonably young (ie, not over 60) then you have plenty of time in your life to get yourself physically better and take another crack at it.  You will not do it by suffering in silence, and while we can be temporarily helpful to you, our forum-benevolence will only get you so far. 

Archived