Progressing from didactic knowledge to clinical application

Hey everybody,

I am a few months into my clinical year and I've figured out the general gist of how the learning should go this year.  The didactic year is set up like an outline of the characteristics of each disease: pathophys, sx, dx tests, tx options.  In the clinical year and in practice, it seems that knowing the characteristics of the diseases is important but doesn't really translate to knowing what to ask/do in the exam room.  It seems like what we need to know in practice is chief complaint based: what's the differential, what are the pointed interview questions to ask, what parts of the physical exam to focus on, what are the best diagnostic tests to rule out/in dz, etc.  That being said, I haven't found too many resources that are layed out in this fashion.  So far the best resource I've found is actually the EM-Basic podcast; the guy walks through the ddx, questions to ask, PE to do, workup labs/imaging.  Its wonderful.  Another good one is the textbook Symptom to Diagnosis.  Unfortunately, both are limited in how many topics they cover.  Does anyone have recommendations for other resources that are layed out in this fashion?  Textbooks, journals/reviews, podcasts, videos, etc. 

Thanks so much for your help!
Jack

An IM attending I rotated with highly recommended this book. It may be available for free online through your school's library(it was at mine), so check there first if you want to save a few bucks. 

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0071590307/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=24ORYYAIZVFAK

Symptom to Diagnosis released a new edition about a week ago. The one from 2009 has good reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/Symptom-Diagnosis-Evidence-Based-Guide/dp/0071803440/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1415194113&sr=1-1&keywords=symptom+to+diagnosis

Archived