Do I apply this round or take a year off?

This is my first post on here so not too sure exactly how this all works, but I REALLY could use some advice, so please help! 

I am currently a Senior in my undergrad as an Exercise Science Major. I have a minor in both Spanish and Biology. I did not apply to PA school last April, so as of right now I am already taking a year off. I am still deciding whether or not I should even apply this round or wait another cycle and apply in 2017 (so I would be taking 2 years off). Any advice would be much appreciated. I live in Florida and would love to go to UF or Nova-Davie/Ft. Laud, but I would probably go pretty much anywhere if I applied and got accepted...

My overall GPA: 3.5
Science GPA (I don't know how CASPA calculates it so I don't know exactly what it is) but I have gotten 3 C+'s in Science Courses (my sophmore year, Organic Chemistry 1, Gen Chem 2, and Anatomy and Phys 2). Since then however, my grades have been on an upward trend and are all A's and B's. 

GRE: not yet taken but am starting a Kaplan course next week and hoping to take it in January for the 1st time

My experience: 

900+ hours as a Medical Scribe in the ER (I still am confused if UF counts this as on their website it states, "The School recommends that all applicants complete the equivalent of at least one year (2000 hours) of direct (“hands-on” actually TOUCHING patients) patient care experience before entering the school*. Examples of such care may include drawing blood, taking vitals, providing personal hygiene care, serving as technician in Radiography, serving as a medical scribe in an Emergency Department, etc.") Even though I am not allowed to touch patients

I am also starting a job as a CNA in the Cancer Unit on Monday (which will be direct experience)

I have ~60 hours shadowing a PA

~80 hours volunteering at a camp for kids with cancer and hemophilia

I have 70 hours from a Medical Missions Trip to Ecuador

Any advice/opinions on whether I should apply to a few schools (mainly FL) this round or just wait and take another year off and take some more science classes to boost my GPA, focus studying on the GRE, and continue working.

Also, does anyone know if they look badly upon applying and you dont get in the 1st time but then you reapply? Or do they like to see that you are persistent and determined?

• 1 month later...

I graduated from the University of Miami in May of 2013. I applied my first time to PA school during the 2013-2014 application cycle and I interviewed with Nova Davie campus. My application was verified by Caspa in early November and I interviewed with Nova the first week of December. When I got to the interview, the faculty informed us that the class was officially full as of the week prior & that we would be interviewed for a waitlist/alternate list. Subsequently, in January I found out that I was not accepted.

I would highly reccommend that you apply during the 2015-2016 application cycle & NOT during the current cycle. Point is, it is way too late in the cycle to even think about being considered to receive interviews from schools. Apply next cycle and most importantly apply EARLY, the earlier you apply, the better chance you have of getting in.

I took two years off after graduating ungrad and it was the best decision I could have made. During this time I finished all prerequiste courses, shadowed PAs, took a 3 month EMT course (received hands-on patient care experience in the hospitals & the ambulances) and worked for a year as a medical secretary/assistant. I applied this cycle, CASPA verified in August & received interviews from Nova-Davie, Keiser-Ft. Lauderdale, & Barry-Miami Shores with acceptances to Nova & Keiser & declining my interview with Barry due to accepting a seat at Nova.

Schools do not look badly upon you as a re-applicant. When I interviewed with Nova the 2nd time, I interviewed with 3 faculty members, 2 of which had interviewed me for my 1st interview the year prior. They asked me what I have done with my time since my last interview, stating that they do not understand why I was NOT accepted the first time, we all agreed that I had applied too late in the cycle.

As far as the GRE goes, you absolutely do NOT need to take a KAPLAN course to do well. I bought a GRE book off of amazon produced by the company that makes the exam, I studied for 2-3 months, took practice exams & was told by the Nova faculty that I had some of the highest scores they have seen.

My Stats at time of application:

Overall GPA: 3.71

GRE: Verbal: 153, Quant: 157, & Writing: 5.0

BLS & CPR Certified

268 Hrs in Healthcare Shadowing

112 Hrs. in Healthcare Volunteering

1264 Hrs. in Healthcare Work-Experience

Archived