Recent Student Profile at Nova Orlando

For those of you who were accepted at Nova within the last few years, what kind of application/background did you have? (degree, clinical hours, GPA, GRE score)

My bachelors is in Business Marketing and I'm working on science courses now at UCF. The most difficult thing I am running into is finding a PA to shadow.

Thanks for your comments in advance!

• 7 months later...

I'll bite.

I have two acceptances. One from NSU-Ft. Myers and the other from NSU-Ft. Lauderdale. I accepted at NSU-Ft. laudy

I recognize that your question is for NSU-Orlando, but I think my response will be helpful.

Background info: Division I soccer player who slept in all his classes--translation: poor GPA.

After leaving my soccer scholarship behind I hit the books hard---> managed to raise my GPA to a 3.2

Post Bacc Science GPA of 3.4

Graduate Science GPA 3.85

GRE 1030

Tons of PA shadowing

2 medical missions: Peru and Haiti

Extensive volunteer work with cancer patients

Strong personal statement

Hope that helps

Molecular Biology and Microbiology B.S.

3.5 GPA (but a steady 3.8 over the past 2 years - unfortunately I bombed my sophomore year)

GRE 1150

CNA in an intensive care unit.

Volunteering in a neurology unit.

Tons and tons and tons of shadowing... more shadowing hours than actual clinical hands-on hours.

I also worked as a vet tech for a while before I started working in the medical field - initially I was told this wouldn't be worth squat (even though I knew how to draw blood, take x-rays, etc), but I actually do think that it helped me in the end. It was brought up at my interviews.

Like jpagano, I also feel like I had a very strong personal statement. My interviewers commented on it and asked me questions about it in both interviews. My letters of rec were also very strong. If you have a way with words, you can really do a lot - especially when it comes to explaining weak points in your application.

Well stated Tantekari.. there are a few key points (i.e. in my opinion) that ADCOMS are looking for:

1) can you handle the rigorous coursework as evidenced by your science GPA

2) is the applicant capable of articulating, in both writing and verbal form, their reasons for wanting to be a PA

3) is there something in your portfolio that makes you stand out

I was just accepted and it was my 3rd year applying. I have a BS in Economics and a MBA. I worked in the field for 3 years before deciding to change fields. My undergrad GPA was simply horrible because I really placed more importance on everything but studying. My MBA GPA I improved to a 3.2 but was still really low. I did do a TON of shadowing. Every person I met I was asking about it and I think it was the only reason I got an interview my first year.

Since then I did everything I could to improve my GPA. I got a 4.0 in all my prereq's I took since then. I started an online degree in Clinical Toxicology from UF and did EMT as well. Both of those brought up my GPA a lot and showed that I am a different student now. It also showed that I was committed to the medical field which is something I got asked in my interview.

In the end my overall GPA was a 3.01 and my science GPA was 3.6. I had 8 shadowing experiences(in 5 different specialties) and with clinicials had A LOT of hours. GRE was 1250. VERY strong letters of recommendations along with a great personal statement. Also had significant time volunteering in medical profession (best way to get to know dr's and pa's to shadow).

• 1 year later...
Molecular Biology and Microbiology B.S.

3.5 GPA (but a steady 3.8 over the past 2 years - unfortunately I bombed my sophomore year)

GRE 1150

CNA in an intensive care unit.

Volunteering in a neurology unit.

Tons and tons and tons of shadowing... more shadowing hours than actual clinical hands-on hours.

I also worked as a vet tech for a while before I started working in the medical field - initially I was told this wouldn't be worth squat (even though I knew how to draw blood, take x-rays, etc), but I actually do think that it helped me in the end. It was brought up at my interviews.

Like jpagano, I also feel like I had a very strong personal statement. My interviewers commented on it and asked me questions about it in both interviews. My letters of rec were also very strong. If you have a way with words, you can really do a lot - especially when it comes to explaining weak points in your application.

Greetings, I am a vet tech (10 years) as well and starting to shadow a PA in Orlando. I am in my 3rd year Bio-medical B.S. I wanted to know if your interviewer asked you many questions relating to why you did not stick with the Veterinary Medicine?

Greetings, I am a vet tech (10 years) as well and starting to shadow a PA in Orlando. I am in my 3rd year Bio-medical B.S. I wanted to know if your interviewer asked you many questions relating to why you did not stick with the Veterinary Medicine?

They did not ask me about why I did not stick with veterinary, but they did ask me how I thought my experience working in veterinary medicine would help me in the future as a PA. I believe one of my classmates worked as a vet tech as well, so perhaps the switch from vet to PA is not so uncommon.

Archived