What did you do?

I went in considering the possibility that I would not be accepted.  I signed up for courses that would expand the range of schools I could apply to the following year, such as Spanish, organic chemistry and advanced biology classes.  

When I got the call in September, I dropped a few classes to save money, but kept taking the ones I found interesting.  I had planned to take classes all year, but opted to spend Winter Quarter abroad (not in a University program), volunteering and improving my Spanish.  The program began part time by March.

The year that I applied which was in 2011 I was still in undergrad so I had to finish the remaining classes in order to graduate. One of the schools required stat which I never took in my undergrad so I went to a community college and took that while I was interviewing. 

It doesn't hurt to ask if the respective programs have received your application and the status of your application. Continue to rack up HCE in case you don't get in this cycle. Also prepping for interviews won't hurt either, it only makes you more prepared when you are called for one. Hope this helps.  

Guest MedLib42

A phone call to clarify something (for example, clarification on communication they sent, sending proof of HCE, or a question on their supplemental) isn't unreasonable, nor is it unreasonable to call to find out when they generally tend to send out rejections/interviews/supplementals (only if that information isn't posted on their website or on this board - look around for it first). Otherwise, I would suggest limiting the amount of contact you have with the program during the process (or not contacting them at all) as they're generally swamped with sometimes thousands of apps, and constant app status queries can be annoying, and some even discourage it (a lot of the "we have received your app" letters I received said "please do not contact us to inquire about the status of your application").

I just waited, and checked the forums here for the schools I'd applied to. I never ended up having to contact any schools I applied to, because there was always plenty of information available through the forum from others who were pretty much wondering the same things I was. I also kept myself busy working on an alternate plan / improving my app for next year on the chance that I wouldn't get in.

I have received notification that my application was received.  I suppose its just a matter of waiting right?  I dont want to bother the admissions personnel so much that they will put a MARK on my application and exclude me from consideration lol.

Thanks again guys

I have received notification that my application was received. I suppose its just a matter of waiting right? I dont want to bother the admissions personnel so much that they will put a MARK on my application and exclude me from consideration lol.

Thanks again guys

Just let the process happen. Don't bug them. Thats why they send you the letter that they received it. Could you imagine if every applicant contacted them?? They'd go nuts. Do t be "that" person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I continued to improve my application and updated my programs I applied to via email. I'd send updates about 1-2 months after I had accumulated something significant. It helped me gain a later interview at a school my 1st time applying. And when I didn't get in my first time applying, I had a significantly improved application the 2nd round of applying (which I was accepted). 

A typical update went like this:

Hello ____,

I hope everything is going well and I wanted to give you a quick update on some of the items that I have completed since ______ (my last update / since submitting my CASPA application)

Experience & Certifications / Education

In October, I completed a Phlebotomy Technician training class at and passed the ASCP exam in December. I am now a licensed CPT1 (ASCP).

In January, I completed a 12 Lead EKG Technician course and passed the NCCT exam in January. I am now a licensed EKG Technician (NCCT).

In November, I began shadowing at _____ Medical Clinic once a week for 4-8 hours a day.  I am still shadowing currently every Wednesday under PA _____ and have accumulated X amount of hours..

I recently attended _____ (PA conference) on ____ (date) and attended seminars for _______ (insert seminars here).

As of today (insert date) I have accumulated (x amount) of paid healthcare experience as an EMT at ____ company since my initially application.

Community Service

In October I participated in Donate Life's Run/Walk at ____ State University.

In November, I participated in feeding the homeless during Thanksgiving at ____ Homeless Shelter. I have done so for the past 4 years now.

In November, I organized a food drive for _____ Family Shelter and this will was my 3rd year doing so.

Education

In December I completed Medical Terminology with an A at _____ University. 

In December I completed ________ (insert science class) and received an A at _____ University

Would you like me to send an updated transcript? I can be reached via email at _______ or by phone at ________.

Thank you for your time!

Moral of the story is to always work on improving your application and never plan on being accepted your first time applying.  I'm not saying you're not going to be accepted your fist time, I'm saying that you should be prepared in the event it takes you more than 1 try.

Archived