PS draft. Please advise. Be critical.

My life has followed a series of interwoven paths which have allowed me to gain invaluable experience leading me to pursue healthcare as a principle career.

Coming from a low-income family without a history of secondary education I chose to commit myself to something I was familiar with, physical labor. I started my first occupational path as a carpenter, just a stone’s throw away from my father, who is an electrician. I devoted myself to my occupation, mastering my skills and earning promotions until I was working on the most prestigious jobs doing the finest hand crafted wood projects on Palm Beach Island. My work gave me the great satisfaction of accomplishment, especially when personally assisting homeowners with the design and fabrication of a permanent installation in their home. My work also gave me the opportunity to save money in order to attend college, something that was foreign to my family.

Choosing an educational, and eventual career path, was not a difficult decision for me. Life and the intricacies of how it worked at a fundamental level fascinated me as a child. I gravitated toward molecular biology after learning of all the advancements made in human genetics research. While attending undergraduate school for my B.S. in biology I had an insatiable appetite for knowledge, as well as a great desire for its application to real life. In the throes of a full semester and part-time job, I interviewed for, and was accepted into a student position at the United States Department of Agriculture. Working two part-time jobs and attending school full-time was a rewarding challenge. After graduation I became a full-time biological science technician, with my work focusing primarily on molecular diagnostics.

Two very different medical needs helped to direct me toward pursuing a career as a physician assistant. My wife and I decided on a homebirth for our second child. Being away from the ministration and security of care found in the hospital was initially frightening. The care exhibited by our midwife was nothing short of amazing. Receiving training, though informal, and assisting with the birth of our daughter placed in me a desire to reciprocate the care demonstrated by our midwife. Recently I injured my knee during a sporting activity. My initial consultation with a PA specializing in orthopedics brought relief, not so much from the treatment of my injuries (partial tear of ACL and tear in medial meniscus), but from the treatment of me as a person with injuries. The PA became invested in my recovery by creating a treatment plan which balanced my desires with appropriate care. It is with this beneficence that I want to carry out my conscience of care.

My Christian faith has also been a major catalyst in defining my pursuit to become a physician assistant. With a call to be actively compassionate to the underserved, I have followed God into His work. Participating in benevolent mission trips to Ecuador and Peru in order to assist in building needs brought about a refined perspective when considering my role in serving the impoverished. A career as a PA would allow me to act upon my experiences and aptitudes, corroborating my profession to serve the medical needs of people in a compassionate manner.

I believe that my analytical skills, desire to act out beneficent care, and aspiration to apply my competence to real life will translate well into a career in medicine. After completion of PA school I intend to work in family medicine or pediatrics in an underserved community.

I would be honored to have the opportunity to one day give my patients the care and professionalism given to me in my times of need.

Archived