Switching directions again. Advice/thoughts appreciated!

I'll try to make a long-story short: I finished undergrad in 2012 as a biology major/history minor. I was originally a pre-dental student. Things didn't work out as I had hoped with an extremely late application. I applied to podiatric medical school and was accepted, but deferred for a year. I was supposed to start just a few weeks ago, but I withdrew. I think I've finally decided on what I would like to do, that is, become a PA. However, I do not have direct patient care hours in order to apply this cycle. As of now, I have shadowed a dentist (125 hours), an orthodontist (125 hours), and a podiatrist (10 hours). I am starting a CNA program that runs from mid-September to mid-December. After that program, I plan to accumulate as many hours that I can until the 2015-2016 cycle opens. Still, I do not think the hours I can possibly accrue in that time will be sufficient. I am just worried that I will wait around until January 2016 or so (whenever acceptance/rejections happen) and then be disappointed in not getting accepted anywhere. The other option I was weighing is starting a nursing BSN program, which would end in Dec. 2016.... but what I really want is to attend PA school. I'm just really unsure about my chance at PA school acceptance, and any advice would be helpful. I'm currently 24 and my parents are harping on me to get on with my life and make a decision. I haven't been using my bachelors degree in the meantime either... I was waitressing instead (not sure if that will be looked down upon?). I calculated my GPAs to be: Non-science= 3.97, Science(BCP)= 3.74, Overall= 3.87. I did not take the GRE and do not plan to do so. Schools that I am considering applying to include: Le Moyne, Pace, Hofstra, Daemen, Touro College, Northeastern, Salus, Rutgers, Franklin Pierce, and Eastern Virginia.

Although few schools accept applicants with zero HCE, there are many schools out there that accept applicants with 500 hours of direct patient care experience.  (Working 2.5 days a week as a CNA would get you there in 6 months.)  If I were you, I would search out schools with lower HCE minimum requirements and then call them all to get a realistic sense for the AVERAGE accepted applicant as well as the number (or %) of applicants accepted with your estimated amount of experience.  (i.e., it's not uncommon for schools with a 500 hour minimum to see a 4000 hour AVERAGE.  If such a school only accepts one student per year with healthcare stats comparable to yours, you could be walking uphill.)  Another detail you might confirm with each program is whether or not you can count hours expected to accumulate between the time you apply and the admissions deadline (or even enrollment).  (i.e. a program that lets you count future hours could be less competitive for you.)  All that said, your GPAs are excellent and will certainly go a long way.  Why not consider taking the GRE?  It's not a huge commitment (6-8 weeks of study) and could open some more doors for you.  (Also, you'll never need to mention waitressing on your application--just relevant work experience like CNA.)  All that said, can you really know that the PA route is for you if you haven't spent any time working with patients?  Just thoughts...  Good luck! 

I think I've finally decided on what I would like to do, that is, become a PA. However, I do not have direct patient care hours in order to apply this cycle...As of now, I have shadowed a dentist (125 hours), an orthodontist (125 hours), and a podiatrist (10 hours).

I think that shadowing a PA and a nurse may help you clarify your indecision.  Without being sure, I wouldn't attempt either.  CNA and RN are both good pre-PA HCE, but may be insignificant if you decide to pursue dentistry or podiatry.   

• 2 weeks later...

I think you would have a great shot with that plan!  I would recommend getting as many shadowing and possibly volunteer hours as you can while taking the CNA course. Try looking for free clinics or maybe through the VA that would allow you to interact with patients and possible get some "hands on" hours.  Some schools may even accept the hours you accrue in your CNA course which is probably around 300.  If you worked full-time until the application cycle opened, you'd have at least 500 hours of HCE plus your volunteer and CNA hours.  For the schools you mentioned, applying EARLY is key.  I'd submit as soon as you possibly could, and just be sure to mention in your personal statement you are still accruing hours!! I have three interviews so far and had a lower science GPA and not many more hours than you'll have!! Good luck :) 

Archived