PA school vs Med school

Hello,

I'm sure this question gets asked a lot. I have started to do a lot of reading, and i just cannot decide between the 2. By the time i am able to start PA or Med school I will be approaching 30, married, and at least 1 child (by then she will be 5yrs old) - possibly another by then as well, seeing how things work out with our 1st. My husband is military, and so his job can be pretty demanding. I would like to still be active in my child's life, and enjoy the time my husband does have at home. I'm worried that going to med school will be too demanding with a family, and my husband's career. Also, i will be entering the game pretty late into my life compared to most others. Any advice?

Unless your husband is going to get of the military, I would not even consider med school.  Medical school is a commitment that requires a whole family to be able to commit to it, and with your husband in military he will be unable to do that unless he has a special situation. What do you plan to do if he gets PCS'ed to somewhere else? Then residency? You might well be signing up for 7+ years not living with him. I can't see a marriage surviving that well.  From my POV, you would be setting yourself up for some serious issues.  Even if your husband stays in one place, what will you do when you can only get a residency in a different town or state? Are you willing to possibly spend those 7 years either away from your kids, or raising them without the help of your husband and them going back and forth?  It might be possible that you can get into med school and residency near home and your husband does not get PCS'ed but you would be risking a really bad situation (and one that is rather likely to occur). 

On the other hand PA school is only 2 years and even if you end up being separated for awhile, it would be a much, much more manageable period of time. If your life was mine, med school would not even be on the table. Take that as you will.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Something I was asked during PA school interviews is "Why did you choose PA school over med school?" I chose PA school for many of the reasons you are debating. I have small children, I'm approaching 30, and I don't want to commit to a 5 plus year residency. If you add the instability of a military living arrangement to the mix, I would never choose med school. PA school seems like a wiser investment of time.

Archived