Personal Statement Feedback

Hi everyone, just wanted to put my personal statement out there to get some feedback.  

Thanks!!

For majority of my life, I have been interested in helping others, most specifically in improving their health. At the age of five, I wanted to be a dentist, not a profession most kids would choose to grow up to work as. I speculate I found it intriguing that you could have a job where you were able to improve the health and bodies of other individuals. Carrying this idea into adulthood, healthcare was at the forefront of my mind when pursuing educational and job opportunities.

Growing up playing sports gave me an immense appreciation for the human body and its capabilities. I find it fascinating how we can adapt to run faster, jump higher, or become stronger. For this reason, I developed an interest in physical therapy and decided that I wanted to be a physical therapist to help others achieve their physical goals. I was very fortunate to be accepted to graduate school for my masters in physical therapy. During my last year of undergraduate and first year of PT school, my grandparents succumbed to the effects of aging. With no one to take care of them at the time, my family and I would travel up to Fresno every weekend to take care of them.

Unfortunately my time was divided too much between family and school, and my academic performance suffered. But watching my grandparents deteriorate before my eyes made me ponder about what I wanted to do for the rest of my life. Seeing my grandparents go through therapy as patients, the therapy I had for myself, and my opportunity to work alongside PT’s gave me great admiration of what could be performed. I gained a deep respect for the field and am astonished at what can be accomplished to mend and improve our bodies. I continued to be interested in PT, but at the same time I became aware of feelings for wanting something more. Reflecting on my physiology courses, the human body was so intricate and complex. I discovered that my interest was in the entire human body and all the sophisticated organ systems. Realizing as a PT, there would always be a part of me that would feel helpless. For some patients under my care, I would not be able treat their diabetes, cardiac disease, or one of their many other possible ailments. I realized my treatment would reach limits and I would have the desire to further care for my patients. After much consideration, I came to the conclusion that PT was not the right choice for me.

In spring of 2011, I made the difficult decision to leave graduate school to pursue a different path. I explored the options that were available to me. Through shadowing, volunteering, and working alongside physician assistants, I discovered that the role of physician assistant (PA) fit what I wanted. How they worked right alongside doctors, handling cases,ordering studies, and performing procedures, caught my eye. I also became intrigued with the teamwork involved within the profession and found it exciting. The constant collaboration between PA's, doctors, RN's, NP's, OT's, and PT's, to name a few, created a sense of unity working towards a common goal rather than individuals focusing on one aspect. Multiple minds with different backgrounds, knowledge, and ideas, can do much more good than a single one. The partnership between multiple professionals is fascinating and draws me to work in healthcare. It is as if I was playing sports again. If you are not strong in a particular skill, a teammate can assist and help you to reach the goal. I cannot wait to be a part of this team that can change lives. I strive to show the care and compassion the PA's displayed. Ultimately, I hope to make others know they are not alone in their battle and I will be there every step of the way.

Each job I worked has taught me so much that I can bring to my future career. I am excited to one day implement these skills as a PA. Working as a PT aide allowed me to work with a patient for the first time and see the positive changes I could bring. Riding in the ambulance as an EMT helped me harness the skills to work with partners for the betterment of our patients. Additionally, I developed the skill to work with patients independently and establish a trusting rapport within minutes of meeting them. My skills to listen and comfort others also developed and will no doubt help me as a PA.   Having the opportunity to work as a scribe has opened up a world of knowledge I can bring along with me. I have been exposed to examinations, different studies, and procedures, and have learned when and why to use them. All of these skills and knowledge will help me as a practitioner without a doubt.

I desire to be a PA to aid others in their time of need and to help them regain their optimum level of health. The gift to care for others in a time of need when they may feel frightened, hopeless or lost, is an incredible gift. I believe there is no feeling better than knowing you have helped someone walk without pain, go back to playing their favorite sport, or return home from being in the hospital for weeks. As an EMT, driving a patient home in the ambulance from the hospital and to see the joy on their face and happiness in their voice was moving. I hope one day to be a part of the reason why a patient returns to a normal life. When asking others about pursuing a future career, the most common advice was, “Do what you love.” After  contemplating various professions, I would love to do nothing more than help improve the lives of others everyday as a PA.

In the past 26 years I have had different adventures, ones that have shaped who I am, and others that will form my future. There have been many achievements, and some pitfalls too. All of my prior experiences have revealed that PA is the only choice for me. And in reality the journey has only just begun; my next big step begins with going to PA school.

Archived