Painful breast lump in Male

Before you go further with imaging, consider the age.  If patient is still growing, likely just pubertal changes. 

How long has it been there?  Consider epidermoid cyst or local infection.

Is it firm and mobile?  Unilateral or bilateral?

Medications?

If it were bilateral (edit, unilateral), firm, and mobile, I would consider u/s, hormone levels, and check testicles as well for masses.  Would probably just observe if it didn't have the aforementioned characteristics.

Guest Paula

ultrasound and urine drug test

That was my initial thought too.  If a marijuana user that just may be the culprit.  Of course.....have to rule out all the bad stuff....like mrs smurf says. 

This is a pretty good review article: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2770912/#!po=27.0492

Before embarking on an expensive and potentially harmful workup, first rule out pseudogynecomastia with a careful physical exam. Pseudogynecomastia is diffuse adipose mimicking breast tissue, usually in an obese male or otherwise with estrogen-testosterone imbalance (advanced liver disease for example). If there is no palpable glandular tissue in the subareolar region by palpation, the appearance of breast tissue is just diffuse adipose. If you're not sure, an US could differentiate subcutaneous fat from glandular tissue. Remember that gynecomastia is frequent in pre-adolescent/young adolescent males--50-60% prevalence! You really wanna work up every one of them? I don't think so. Careful physical exam, reassurance and repeat exam in 6 mos. Overwhelmingly these self-resolve.

The article goes into much more detail.

Archived