Which would you prefer?

Assuming the same $/hour rate and similar benefits....which option would you choose:

Option #1:

Forty-five minutes from home. Working for large ED staffing firm working 12/12s per month. Ten hours of each shift are in "overflow", which is to say level 3-5, although it is not uncommon to end up with an admit per shift. A large portion of the patient population treats the ED as a free primary care clinic, and is kind of "rough" around the edges if you get my drift - non compliant with more than a few drug seekers. Shifts are split evenly 9a-9p and 1p-1a.

Option #2:

Ten minutes from home at most. Working for small ED group working 16/9s per month. Entire shift is "fast track". Patient population is much easier to work with from a compliance and drug seeking standpoint (wealthy community). Shifts are split 8:30a-5:30p and 5:30p-1:30a evenly.

My thought is that, as I am well into the mid-life years, it would be nice to settle into a position that would be more sustainable from a workload/stress/health standpoint for the long-haul. Nine hour shifts sound great. So does a short commute. But, then again, I like my 18-19 days off per month.

EMEDPA and other ED veterans.....I could use your advice regarding the best option for sustainability, general life balance, and work satistfaction.

Thanks,

browndog

Sorry, I'm not a PA. However, I would say option 2. It would seem to me that the issues you described with option 1 would only get mote aggravating over time. I'd rather be work the extra 4 days per month if it's going to make me a happier person.

Stay safe,

Neup

... Patient population is much easier to work with from a compliance and drug seeking standpoint (wealthy community)...
Aside from the fact that that part is HILARIOUS and you'll see what I mean soon enough, I vote option 2 far and away. It's also easy, based on how you described them, to see which way you're already leaning.

Research shows that people don't actually use logic and reasoning to make decisions; they use it to bolster their confidence in the emotional decisions that have, by and large, already been made. But that's okay, because #2 is clearly the better choice for you, and in addition it's what I would choose. I'm not as young as I used to be, and an extra day off now and then isn't enough to make up for the aggravation of a long commute. #1 is still 45 minutes away, whether you leave on time or not; whether it was a good day or the worst one ever.

Archived