Your stats?

Hey! I was wondering if any of you guys that are currently at Duke or that have graduated the program would mind posting your stats? I have a few years left on my Bachelors at UNCA and I'd really love to get some insight as to what Duke is looking for in an applicant. I'm currently going through the process to start volunteering at the hospital and my plan for the summer of '15 is to take a CNA and EMT-B course so that I can attain my HCE. 

Any direction or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't apply to Duke, but in my experience, it would be best to contact the admissions department for this sort of information.  You could get a few random answers on this forum that really wouldn't tell you much about YOUR chances of acceptance.  I find the key is figuring out what each school values in an applicant (mission statement, admissions rep conversations, etc) and figuring out how to best highlight your strengths on the application.  Do a little research, then call admissions and have a good long talk about the different aspects of your app to get a realistic sense for your odds.  You never know what gold star they might see on there that makes you a worthy candidate.  2 cents...

I am a member of the class of 2016. Looking at the backgrounds and stats of my classmates, I can tell you that Duke does not look for one certain kind of student. My class is extremely diverse; there are huge variations in age, experience, backgrounds, fields of study, and personal qualities. Duke looks for diversity and authenticity. Be yourself.

However, Duke does require at least 1,000 of healthcare experience. Most people don't have this amount of accumulated healthcare hours coming right out of undergrad- that's why only 3 percent of accepted applicants are directly from undergrad. It's not impossible though!

Archived