PA with a background / specializing in nutrition? Possible?

Hello! I am currently finishing up my sophomore year as a nutrition and health sciences major. My original plan was to become a registered dietitian after my bachelor's, but the more I researched it the more I thought PA might be the better route. My degree covers all the prerequisites for the PA programs, my question is how sought after are PA's with a nutrition background? My ultimate goal would be working as a PA specializing in nutrition related issues such as diabetes, obesity, etc. Is this a good path to take or are PA and nutrition too different to fit together well? Thanks!

Guest Paula

We just discussed this briefly in another post.  Look it up under medical billing and coding section and you will see it.....

You would be a boon in many practices--especially endocrinology, general pediatrics and family medicine. The more difficult question would be whether you have adequate time with your patients to counsel and teach appropriately. Often it's cheaper for a large practice to hire a dietitian and have the clinicians see 4-5 patients an hour.

Even if you can't use your nutrition counseling directly while working as a PA, it would be a very valuable background to have along with medicine. We had almost zero nutrition education in my PA program 16 years ago. I'm sure that's changed some now. However, in my medical school, we had easily 50 hr of dedicated nutrition education (much of it guided learning with some awesome modules that I can't remember who wrote them--I think it was one of the big med schools) integrated with each system (cardio, pulm, GI, neuro etc). It was fantastic and I think really helped cement the biochemical and physiological processes of metabolism in my mind. I use at least a little bit of that knowledge with my patients every day.

Guest Paula

^^^^^^^ agree with primadonna.  I am a dietitian but our practice still contracts with a dietitian as I don't have a lot of time to spend in-depth with patients on nutrition.  

Get your RD, I'm currently in my internship and finish in 2 weeks. I'm applying this cycle to PA school. I'm so grateful for what I have been exposed to throughout my internship. Worst case scenario if you get your RD-takes 1 extra year, but you can make >$40,000 plus if you don't get into PA school on your first try.

Archived