When to start applying?

Disclaimer: Haven't started my classes yet.

A lot of the time on the forums, I've seen people suggest that you begin looking at the start of your clinical year, or 12 months before you graduate... whichever comes first. Just preparing your CV/resume and networking with clinical sites that you work at. It might not always work out perfectly, but there are those here who had a job waiting for them at graduation because they got the ball rolling early.

• Administrator

Technical note: Given the number of Pre-PAs posting questions everywhere, picking a title that can't possibly be confused with such a thread (e.g., "When to start job hunting"?) might have elicited more responses. Still, having said that, I'm interested in hearing what other recent grads have to say, too. :-)

When did you start looking for jobs? In school? After graduation? After passing the boards?

Best time would be during clinicals where you start networking. Even if it doesn't work out during clinicials, try to do exceptionally well so you can get awesome letters of recommendation, those really come in handy when you apply later on.

I have been wondering the same thing and I have found no good answers. I graduate in 90 days on May 7th and I put out about 4 applications online in January and didn't hear back at all yet. I figure it can't hurt to get them out even with 6 months of clinicals left to go. Most applications have you put right on there your desired start date, and if they don't like it then they won't call you for an interview... if that happens, its no loss to you and at least you are getting your name out there.

As for networking, I had no rotations anywhere near where I want to work so networking is basically impossible.

What's funny is that I'm panicking despite having had some job offers. They were not jobs I'd consider (aside from not being fields I'm interested in they are so subspecialized I'd have to be an idiot to start out there) but when push comes to shove a job is a job is a job.

I stated looking for a job a month or two before graduation. It's nice to know you have passed the boards when you go on an interview, but I would not let this delay my looking. It should take you about 1-2 months to find a job so plan accordingly. Responding to online applications is going to be a really difficult way to find a job. Obviously the best way is to find a contact where you want to work. This is most easily accomplished during rotations. Next I would send just a letter of introduction to everyplace you think you might want to work. After that send your cover letter and resume. Follow that up with a call or in person ask to speak with the person in charge of hiring, likely the office manager in a private practice. Don't wait for them to call you! There are often jobs available that are not posted! Target 10 or more places you want to work and go from there don't just wait for the jobs to come up on an internet site. Good Luck!

Archived