Experienced PA considering joining the military...

Hello everyone,

I am a PA with almost 6 years of experience, have worked in cardiothoracic/vascular surg, gen surg, and ER (per diem). Presently in Massachusetts, but thinking of moving to California in the next 2 years, and also considering what it would be like to be a PA in the military. This thought first occurred to be when looking into moving to the San Diego area, because of all the military bases there are nearby, etc. I know that one of the places that the Navy can have you work at is in San Diego, and that signing up for active duty with them is 3 years whereas the Army is 4 years; honestly, that is the only thing I remember from what small amount of research I've done on this so far.

What I'd like to know is:

(1) Are there any active duty PAs out there (in any branch) that can shed some light on their experience, whether you're happy with your decision, etc.?

(2) How much flexibility do you have with where you are placed to work? (I know this may be a pipe dream, but, if I said I wanted to live in San Diego, is such a thing even a reasonable request that would be honored, or is it silly to think I could ask for that (and get it)?

(3) As a woman, how close would I be to combat areas?

(4) How does the compensation compare with a civilian job?

(5) How much flexibility/choice do you have in terms of choosing an area of medicine (surgery vs. critical care vs. internal medicine, etc.)?

I have also seen some ads recently for what is called "per diem" ER work at Camp Pendleton, which appears to be for civilians, but can't really tell. They call it ER work in the title, and then they go on to describe something that sounds a lot more like inpatient medicine, and they mention assisting in surgery, etc., so it's anyone's guess what exactly you're doing, and what the facility there is like.

Basically, I just want to know if it's really all it's cracked up to be, and whether I should seriously consider it as a future option. The only info I am able to find out there comes from postings directly from the recruiters, and of course, it is touted as a great option. If you prefer to send a private message with your responses, that's great also.

Thanks very much for your help.

Lissette

If my wife would let me (not as bad as it sounds) I would go back in the USAF in a heart beat - amazing people that really do a great job.

I think there is some special pays that have been approved (do a search on this forum for more details)

The service sends you where they need you - no the other way around.....

Archived